Getting Ready For Summer In Arizona...

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
...is like getting ready for winter in Illinois.

You scurry out during the best parts of the day (early morning in AZ) and wrap up soon. Best to get all your oil changes and projects done before the "blizzard of heat" sets in. Fortunately, the weather in April and May was absolutely gorgeous. I got way more done than I thought I would. Many of them were welding projects. Somebody asked what you can do with a welder last Fall. Here's what I did with mine.

Nasty gate. Weathered wood. The dogs could not see through it. Needed overhaul.

So... I stripped the old "innards" out being careful with my grinder and a cutoff disc...

Then, I added all the new bits into the old gate frame. Here I am hanging it before sanding off the paint nubs and giving it one last coat. I wanted to get the gate back up before critters got in my back yard...

I needed a cover for my pond pump. These danged things powder coated are $600 plus $150 shipping! I had the tubes bent and I welded up all the expanded metal... All-in I was $100.

Attachments

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I had to replace a goofy wooden staircase that was exposed to the weather off my back porch. I got it done almost two years ago but I was worried the sun and rain might rot it out despite all my layers of paint. So, before this summer, I came up with a hair-brained scheme to cover the stairway and provide access to this side of the house without walking over a hole 16 feet deep.

Here is the stair under the hole. A long way down...

To cover the hole I welded up some square tubing that followed the parapet walls. I used a "cut and weld" technique working over a cardboard template. Then I used the first frame to make a mirror image, one piece folding over the other...

Here it is closed. A buddy calls it my "missile silo door."

And open... The doubled section is reinforced to walk on.

The nice thing is, its only 3 inches tall where it meets the south wall so, you can barely notice it up there. So far, its doing a great job protecting my stair work.

Attachments

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
The last project I never thought I'd have time for wss filling in some holes in a back patio wall. Originally, this dump of a house had wood verticals set in the stucco. To no one's surprise, the wood rotted out many years ago. I had the holes stuccoed over when we re-stuccoed but I needed to keep Coyotes and Bobcats out of my back yard. So, I used more "squiggle stock" I bought at the local metal shop.

The problem was, the two holes, one a rectangle and another a vertical rectangle were not plumb or square. I had to make my grate fit the existing hole as best I could.

I decided to have the horizontal bars match the slope of the horizontal parts of the wall and then make the verticals as plumb as I could get them. It turned out to be one big wag...

I did a bunch of other little projects. I had another 42 tons of granite delivered to finish off my driveway and needed a heavy-duty rake to pick out some rocks the deer constantly kick into the driveway. I used a piece of scrap U-channel and welded 1/2" rebar 1 1/2" long onto it. Nothing will break this rake, and its heavy, about 85 lbs...

It pulls great behind the ute...

Anyway, that is what I have been up to the last couple months. I have no idea what I am doing but I am having a great time. Welding is a really handy skill to have because of the really useful and fun projects you can do. Just that one gate renovation would have run about $1200 at the local welding shop. The stair cover would have been insane with all the custom cut pieces and trial fitting. I have maybe $200 in that, plus paint.

If you are remotely interested in welding, there are plenty of lessons online. Chucky2009 on YouTube is awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgGG-ifphkA

:)

Attachments

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ray, when I first say the gate I though it must really get hot in Arizona if it distorts metal like that! So you call it "squiggle stock"? It came out nice.

On your stairway cover....with that experience you can go into making canopys for your friends tractors.

Welding when the weather is hot is not enjoyable!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
SCF,

Yeah... I got tired of my Lincoln "breaking" on those short rolls of wire... Hit the button -Wire no feed... It HAS to be broken, I CAN'T have used up THAT much wire! LOL...

I used the INE on the last grates pictured. That stuff will pool so nicely with narry a variation. Thanks again for that tip. I took your advice and have several spools in my supply cabinet as well as the one in my machine.

Len,

When I brought a few pieces of that bendy metal home, I wasn't sure the wife would like it but, she did. So I bought more because I had the gate, the grates, and another new gate I have to fab up from scratch this Fall. Glad I grabbed a bunch of it... They don't have it in stock anymore. Great stuff. It was loaded with shop scale after being dropped into a press red hot and smashed into squiggle shape. It's 1/2" solid steel so its heavy and strong and they all match perfectly.

I try to weld outside as much as possible. The cool weather this year was because we had fronts passing and that meant wind. The drag rake was welded after noon one day when it was windy than heck. I didn't care about the look of the weld, I just applied Frank's Axiom, "If You Can't Weld Good, Weld Lots!" It worked!!!

Done for summer. Tanks almost empty anyway.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I little tip I learned from my mentor welder I learned from decades ago... Take a cigarette filter (unsmoked) and cut it off of the cigarette and place it on the wire, just before the wire enters the drive spools.

It cleans the wire off and one filter works for an entire roll.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I will take the cold weather verses the heat any day. I can always layer up, but you can only take off so much clothing.

Nice metal work.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Nice metal work! The look is very "Southwest" ;)

That environment looks so foreign to me, living in the deep deciduous forests in the Appalachian foothills. Would like to visit AZ sometime. Wife lived in SE Washington state for a spell before we were married. Was always like going to the moon whenever I came to visit. Get outside of town, everything was brown, and not a tree to be found! :eek:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Beautiful work Ray!
Looks like all that fab work I don't have time for might have to go to CCR's Fabrication & Design!

I fell so inadequate.:eek:
The extant of my accomplishments lately was to drive to the high country on Saturday afternoon, prep and paint my shipping container, and drive home through the smoke & flames of a controlled burn on Monday. Sigh.

Attachments

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
SCF/Len,

I bought some of those wire lube/cleaner doo-hickeys. Hope they help.

Bill,

Hope those prescribed burns help. Dry as tinder here and we have 2000 acres uncontrolled out by Lake Bartlett. Sad... that area burned about 30 years ago and had healed up pretty well.

I have two hydrants on the property and 350' of 2" line with a couple nozzles if need be. I also have a reducer to couple regular garden hose for more distance. I have talked to the Rural Metro guys and told them I will be wetting down everything I can upwind of me the minute something breaks out up here. I have smoke masks just in case. Somebody did a video in town on how this Yellow Globe Chamomile burns and it's fierce. Hope we don't get any lightning or loose cigarettes...

That shipping container looks awesome! Blends in well. Is it sitting on anything? How much was it delivered? I am seeing a lot of those starting to pop up around town. Is it to park your Kubota in?

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Ray..

I'm curious about something. I see you have solar panels on your 'roof'. How many and what do you use them for? They don't work around here, too much canopy of trees over the house and too many cloudy days, but I'm thinking about putting a couple hundred watts of solar on our RV.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The burns are related to the Coldwater fire east of Clint's Well, 10,000 acres so far.

Thanks Ray.
It sits on slump blocks & some trex deck scraps up front & 1 1/2" pavers in the rear.
Everyone I know who has set one on the ground ends up with critters (squirrels, gophers, rats, mice, snakes, skunks, raccoons, etc.) living under it, so I wanted to get it up off the ground.

Prices and delivery vary wildly. We found 20ft containers in the Phoenix area for as low as $1800, up to $4800; delivery ran from $3 a mile to $6.50 a mile. At 150 miles from Phoenix, that got pricy fast.
Flagstaff had a much smaller selection, but was closer (73miles) Prices there ran from $2500 to $5000, delivery ran from $3.25 to $5.00 a mile.
Condition (single trip vs multiple trips) and features (number & style of doors)affect price also.
This one is a single trip, relatively new, with all the latest features, price was $4350, delivery $3.35 a mile. Got it for $4200, delivery $2.83 a mile.
Seems expensive, but up there, even a stick-built single car garage is in the $20,000 range. Metal buildings are cheap, but getting a crew up there to put it up is 2-4 times the price of the building.
The Kubota will live there, and I'm in the process of building a rack/stand to store implements on, it should let me store several in the same floor space as the front plow takes up now. More on that when time permits me to finish it.

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
SCF,

We have 46 panels on our roof and they generate more power on a sunny day than we use. We sell the difference back to the utility -at about 1/4 of what they charge me for the kwh. In summer, we use a little more than we make thanks to A/C running. We build up a credit in the Spring and Fall that covers the difference in what we use over summer.

For your RV I recommend the SunPower panels. They are more efficient, so they are smaller, and the have a much longer life than the older panels.

Bill,

You'll have to post some photos when you get the tractor barn all finished. That is actually a great idea and, if you move, you have the option of taking it with you though most people would love to have a storage building like that. I would think having a nice storage building on your property would increase the value of the property by the amount of the container, or more if its done nice like yours is turning out.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Dang, I came in to rest and just reading your post got me tired, I think I need a nap,, Right Skeet??
Skeet’s, wake up and answer the question Brother!!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Dang, I came in to rest and just reading your post got me tired...
Sorry! LOL... The stupid stairway cover nearly killed me. I had to haul those pieces up on the roof about six times to get measurements and make sure the supports all fit properly. It all sits on rubber feet and is held down by four 1/4" concrete screws. Glad to have all this stuff behind me.

Now, I can sit at home reading Orange, eating chocolate, and drinking more coffee. WHOO-HOO!