BX 22 battery replacement

ratchetgmc

Equipment
bx22
Apr 11, 2009
Gloucester,va
I just bought a bx22. It was purchased new in 2003 and I am the second owner. Used a couple of times and then sat in garage for about 3 weeks because of rain and was busy. Went to start and it cranked just a bit, spit, and then the battery would not turn it over. I am now wanting to replace the battery; original owner said he had never replaced. I have heard that for tractors because of high vibration they require special batteries. The battery that came out of it is a DEKA battery. After research this is a very vibration resistant battery. I see batteries for KUBOTAS for as much as 250. I would like one that the original holddown will work with. Someone please give me some advice so I can install a new battery and will not need to jumpstart everytime the tractor sits. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

TOM

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
Tom, I have never had much luck with batteries as the most I have ever got from a battery in a tractor is two to three years, No matter whether the battery was a expensive anti vib battery or a cheapo from Wal-Mart but for some strange reason I have had better luck with batteries that I buy that are Exide brand.

For that reason I tend to go with a Exide battery and the cheapest place for Exide is WalMart. When ever I change out the battery I completly clean the battery tray, and clean the terminal ends. I also do not to use any anti corrosion spray because if you live in a area that has warm weather the stuff tends to melt and go between the terminal end and the post of the battery and you lose connection and end up cleaning the post and end all over again. I do clean the posts and terminal ends every 6 months.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Hey Tom,

You are right to be looking for a way to reduce vibration to the battery. Inside of a battery there are many parallel aligned plates - the bumping up and down of normal equipment usage can cause these plates to smash together. When they disintegrate that's when you lose capacity in that battery.

Sounds like you also have the holdown still around - that's good. Typically the first time the battery is changed that hold down gets tossed or neglected to be put back on - causing the battery to bounce around and destroy itself.

We just did a segment on battery basics yesterday that you can have a look at here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n8IJEsgaxU

I'll ask Vic what battery we had in the L175 that we were filming and to post in this thread next time he's back in from the shop.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Update - just spoke to Vic - he's got an Everready Enegizer battery in there. From WalMart for about $89. Buy a battery from WalMart and just make sure you use that battery hold down and you're set! Good call too Michael!

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hmmmm. I live in Ontario, lots of salt on the roads and I use my B7200 to clean driveways. I have had it for 4 yrs and the battery is still going strong and the battery was not new when I got the tractor. It sat outside from Christmas untill two weeks ago. I figured the battery would be pooched but 10 min on charger and it was charged. I am not the best guy in the world at keeping up on maintenance. One thing I do is run a ground from the battery right up to one of the starter bolts. For some reason I have really good luck with batteries. I will check this one in the B7200 for make and such and let you know what it is. After all that that build up the battery will probably be dead in the morning.

ratchetgmc

Equipment
bx22
Apr 11, 2009
Gloucester,va
Thank you all for your quick response and your knowledge. I will be learning a lot with my new tractor. I have never owned a tractor or a diesel before and have a lot to learn. I watched some of your videos and Vic is great. Good information and easy to understand. After I learn a little I hope I can contribute in some way.

Fred Newman

Equipment
B7200, loader, backhoe
Jun 2, 2009
Winsted, CT
dusty-t,

I too own a B7200 and it is my first diesel tractor also. Recently my battery just up and went dead. I discovered that the gentleman who I bought the tractor from had removed the hold down brackets which allowed the battery to bounce around. No wonder I lost my battery!! I'm now trying to buy the correct battery. I was interested in reading your experience. Can you tell me the foot print dimensions of your Allstate Mega-tron and the CCA rating? Following Vic's advice we're supposed to be looking for one that is rated 850 CCA. I just puchased a 850 battery and found that it had too large of a foot print to fit in the area allowed for on the B7200. It measured about 7" X 11" and rested right up against the radiator. I then measured the area provided for a battery and found that it can't be any larger than 5 1/2" X 11". I've also ordered brackets from a local Kubota dealer. Thanks for any advice you might have. Fred Newman, Winsted, CT