You can't make this stuff up...

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
I believe I have justified the cost of a dash cam.

This morning I was crossing the Susquehanna River on I-95 in Maryland. Typical morning bumper to bumper commuter traffic plus the holiday early bird travelers. Did I mention it was moving along at 75 MPH. I was in the slow lane when I saw a Subaru Outback coming up two lanes over and pulling a trailer.

This was when I wished for a dash cam. The Outback was pulling what looked like a 10' flat bed single axle utility trailer. The trailer was hauling a new compact JD tractor, about the same size as a Kubota B2910, with a FEL and MMM.

It gets better.

To get the tractor on the trailer the FEL bucket was curled down and strapped to the trailer tongue. The bucket was about 2' from the trailer hitch ball. Don't guess he was planning to make any turns. The only other strap I saw was across the floor board and attached to the rear of the trailer. The strap tails flapped in the breeze. The rear tires barely made it on the trailer and all of the 3 point hitch hung out the back.

Turbulence from vehicles passing him resulted in the makings of the dreaded death wobble. When he crossed an expansion joint in the road you could see the tongue go up... obviously very little tongue weight. After I safely got around him I thought of a thread that was on here several months ago... I dug it up as it should be a reminder that, "I am not going that far" is not an excuse to take chances.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36195

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That sounds about right. And probably no cop around to talk some sense into them either.

But hey, at least they had it strapped down. I see more idiots around Little Rock running around with skid steers and Mini track hoes that aren't strapped down at all and running 75 to 80 mph. :eek:

They don't seem to realize that if they got into a wreck, that baby is going through there vehicle

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Not tractor related, but hauling related.
Had a friend ask me to come over & estimate repairs on a 10' x 6' single axle utility trailer that he uses to haul his Yamaha Rhino. He loaned it to his daughter, and his son-in-law did the driving/loading. The Rhino was somehow only scratched & slightly bent front & rear, but the trailer was a mess. Seems the son-in-law thought tie-down straps were unneeded for real men, so he threw the straps in the back of the truck and did not secure the Rhino. Didn't even set the brake or put it in gear. Every time he accelerated, the Rhino smashed into the loading ramp, and every time he braked, it smashed into the front rail of the trailer. For 150 miles.
The front rail (2 1/2" x 3/16" angle) was bent forward 17", and the loading ramp had a large compound bend (dish?) bent into it over 12" deep.
It must has sounded/looked/felt horrible when pounding back & forth, but this taterhaid just kept driving. He was really offended when his new father in-law chewed him out & suggested that he pay for repairs. He never did pay. Even asked to borrow the trailer & Rhino again. Where do such people come from?

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Go on welding web.com forum (good site by the way)...and look at the trailer fail thread....the stupid on there is just amazing...

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
People like that give Subaru owners a bad name, he must have been of the Yuppie ilk. Subarus are great cars for getting the wife to work and back safely but towing a trailer of any kind would not be my choice. And don't you just hate being on the road in proximity to people that don't have a clue about what they are doing? I bet he was on his cell phone to boot, lol.

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
No cell phone... but from the expression on his 30'ish face his butt cheeks were clinched so tight it could have cracked a black walnut. It was obvious he put himself (and others around him) in serious danger. If a State Trooper would have seen how, or in this case lack there of, the tractor was tied down... I am 150% certain the tractor would have made the rest of the trip on a roll back...:eek:

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
I just had a chilling thought... If the 30'ish Subaru driver had lost it and the ensuing wreak would have caused my demise... my buddies would inscribe my headstone with the following, "He was killed by a Deere".... Think about it... that would really suck...

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Not tractor related, but hauling related.
Had a friend ask me to come over & estimate repairs on a 10' x 6' single axle utility trailer that he uses to haul his Yamaha Rhino. He loaned it to his daughter, and his son-in-law did the driving/loading. The Rhino was somehow only scratched & slightly bent front & rear, but the trailer was a mess. Seems the son-in-law thought tie-down straps were unneeded for real men, so he threw the straps in the back of the truck and did not secure the Rhino. Didn't even set the brake or put it in gear. Every time he accelerated, the Rhino smashed into the loading ramp, and every time he braked, it smashed into the front rail of the trailer. For 150 miles.
The front rail (2 1/2" x 3/16" angle) was bent forward 17", and the loading ramp had a large compound bend (dish?) bent into it over 12" deep.
It must has sounded/looked/felt horrible when pounding back & forth, but this taterhaid just kept driving. He was really offended when his new father in-law chewed him out & suggested that he pay for repairs. He never did pay. Even asked to borrow the trailer & Rhino again. Where do such people come from?
Son in law would have gotten a smack down for being stupid. Daughter would have gotten the head shake of disappointment for not knocking some sense into her hubby.

We really lucked out with our kids spouses. Son in law is great, as well as both daughter in laws. They still don't get to borrow my trailer or equipment though :p

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
my outback (2014) has a 4k tow rating - but does say anything over 1k needs trailer brakes.

I've towed lots with mine, all local stuff and no issues or concerns.

People like that give Subaru owners a bad name, he must have been of the Yuppie ilk. Subarus are great cars for getting the wife to work and back safely but towing a trailer of any kind would not be my choice. And don't you just hate being on the road in proximity to people that don't have a clue about what they are doing? I bet he was on his cell phone to boot, lol.

griffin800

Equipment
Kubota bx23s, Simplicity Conquest
Apr 7, 2018
Rockford, IL
my outback (2014) has a 4k tow rating - but does say anything over 1k needs trailer brakes.

I've towed lots with mine, all local stuff and no issues or concerns.
Looked it up, tongue weight limit is 200 lbs. on that car, as is often the case with cars and SUV's that puts a big limit on what you can safely tow.

You'd only have 5% tongue weight at 4k, not enough.

Bill H.

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
I see examples every day that make me shake my head, and ask, what are these type of folks thinking ?
TAs the population ages, the common sense seems to be disappearing and the stupidity and cluelessness seems to be rapidly increasing. Anyone every watch the show called " The science of stupid " ? Amazing what some people do to get their 2 seconds of fame on utube. LOL

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I just had a chilling thought... If the 30'ish Subaru driver had lost it and the ensuing wreak would have caused my demise... my buddies would inscribe my headstone with the following, "He was killed by a Deere".... Think about it... that would really suck...
Or a "Deere chasing/riding a Subaru"

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I see examples every day that make me shake my head, and ask, what are these type of folks thinking ?
TAs the population ages, the common sense seems to be disappearing and the stupidity and cluelessness seems to be rapidly increasing. Anyone every watch the show called " The science of stupid " ? Amazing what some people do to get their 2 seconds of fame on utube. LOL
See here...In my local paper this past week. :mad: It's been really hot here for at least a week.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/be..._in_cage_strapped_to_suv_in_extreme_heat.html

And I've had people actually ask me why I'm so cynical...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I went to town an hour ago and was in too big of a hurry to stop and get a picture, but I can probably get one tomorrow evening.

It's a gravel road going South with a large tree just on the East side of the road and to the East side of the tree is a pond. In the pond there were about 15 head of cattle back deep in the water in the shade of the tree.

I thought, those cows are smarter than most humans. Humans lay BY the water IN the sun!

TRA

Equipment
B2601, LA434, BH70, LP BB1260
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
People seem to WAY underestimate the weight of a tractor of any size, and way overestimate the capacity of a trailer. They take the "If it fits, it ships" mentality.

Even small tandem axle trailers are iffy for even a B series. And most singles will have problems with a BX with any equipment on it. It may look like, or slightly bigger than a lawn mower, but it aint.