Error P0336 L3901

BruceMyers48

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, 6' Boxblade, 6' Mower
Nov 9, 2014
Zephyrhills, FL USA
Hello, I am receiving a error flashing after the hours show reading P0336. I was told by the dealer not to worry if the tractor is running. I still worry because I have only 20 hrs on this new unit. Has anyone had this same error or heard anything about it. Thanks

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
See if the dealer can print you off a code list. I would be pressing them for what the definition is also. If it is popping the code then there is an issue. But might turn out to be something stupid and simple. It's kind of crappy that the dealer said not to worry about it if it's still running:confused: all he had to do was look at the list, and could tell you what it is. Try to talk to a mechanic or the service manager.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Hello, I am receiving a error flashing after the hours show reading P0336. I was told by the dealer not to worry if the tractor is running. I still worry because I have only 20 hrs on this new unit. Has anyone had this same error or heard anything about it. Thanks
Did you get this taken care of yet?

P0336 = Crankshaft Position Sensor Range/Performance for ODBII type systems and I would think they would have followed the same numbering system.

I would like to know what you find/found, I also have a L3901.

Reactions: 1 user

pwreich

Equipment
L3301/LA525
Jun 15, 2015
Rochester, PA
I've got a L3301DT with 7.5 hrs on it throwing the same code. If anyone finds out anything on this, post here. I'm sure others are going to get it to0.

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
Crankshaft position sensor abnormality. The error is past after the key is switched off, however the ECU is storing the code. There's a way to clear the code, but your dealer knows how

Knott

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2015 BX2670-1, BX2755HD Snow Blower, Farmking 4' box Blade, BX 2760A Plow Blade
Jun 2, 2015
Manitoba
Clearing the code is only part of the solution. You must fix the problem or the code will return. Crankshaft sensor codes are usually caused by metalic debris on the sensor itself. If you can get at it yourself, clean the area then carefully remove it & wipe the sensor off with a clean rag. 9 times out of 10 this will fix the problem. If this does not fix it then the sensor will have to be tested by a tech. Also be sure to put a small amount of oil on the o-ring before you reinstall the sensor.

pwreich

Equipment
L3301/LA525
Jun 15, 2015
Rochester, PA
Talked to my dealer this morning. He called Kubota tech line. Apparently common problem with L3301-L3901. Happens frequently if you stall engine. Kubota working on a software patch to cure issue. Kubota says no problem using machine as it will not effect performance in any way. Owners will be notified when patch is ready. Must be hooked up to Kubota laptop to dump patch. Maybe when I take it in for 50 hr?

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
There's no way to test the sensor, it's a hall effect sensor, you can only test the harness going to it. If that checks out, assume the sensor bad. The sensor is behind the loader frame on the right hand side, at the bellhousing. You can use a long extension and socket to remove the cover and the bolt holding the sensor, however, if the machine doesn't miss or run rough, assume it's just the issue with the software.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Yes. I have a problem child L3301 in the shop.

First, the dealer should re-flash the ECU. 99.9% of the time, this will solve the issue. The original program would set a PO336 code if the engine RPM was to drop below I think 700 RPM without shutting off the key. The new program has addressed this and dropped that threshold to a much lower RPM, so that if you're, say, running the tractor into a tree to push it over and the engine RPM drops because of loading, it is much less likely to set the code.

PO336 is a crankshaft abnormality code. It can be set by a number of different things, ranging from the actual sensor having a problem to a simple wire harness or connector problem to foreign material on the sensor itself. And each of those issues need to be addressed as part of diagnosis. The sensor cannot be tested by Kubota special tools. Perhaps the automotive industry would be able to do it, but most Kubota dealers don't have that type of tooling. Kubota is currently using Diagmaster to do all of the diagnostic stuff on the CRS and Tier 4 tractors.

There is a DIY way of clearing the code from the dash panel, but it does not clear it from the ECU. And you want to have it cleared from both the ECU and the panel. When the code is set, the tractor's horsepower is de-rated. Also, you'll notice a rougher running engine and some slight injector knock at a slow idle. The code, if stored and continued to run, can also affect the DPF negatively, so ideally you'll want to get it fixed as soon as possible to avoid problems relating to the DPF and DOC.

IF it's been re-flashed with the new programming, and you're still seeing the code....then there are several possibilities. One, the sensor itself is dirty. IF you have a front end loader, the loader has to come off (if it's an LA525, it comes off in 30 seconds if you're quick), then the right side loader frame needs to be removed, and the valve. The sensor is right behind the loader frame, has a harness going to it and a plug. 6mm (10mm socket) holds it on the bell housing. Remove it, and check carefully for metal shavings. Sometimes the manufacturer didn't get them clean enough and because the sensor is magnetic, it will attract any loose steel or iron particles-which will "fool" the sensor's pulse going to the ECU.

If that's been done (the re-flash and cleaning of the sensor), ask the dealer to inspect the flywheel.

Last edited:

Takota

Equipment
L3301
Jan 27, 2016
Sanford, Fl
Bringing it back from the past! My L3301 popped the code Saturday after I tried to move forward in high range with a grader behind. RPM dropped, code showed up. 39.5 hours.

abrasmeister

Equipment
Kubota L3301
Oct 28, 2015
Upstate, New York
They have to reprogram your ECU. The dealer came to my house, took about half an hour to reprogram and then everything has been good since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Takota

Equipment
L3301
Jan 27, 2016
Sanford, Fl
Brought the tractor to the dealer last Wednesday, picked it up on Friday. They told me everything was good to go. Tractor did not need an update. They erased the code and it did not come back on. Used the tractor Sunday for 3 hours, no issues ran fine.
Fast forward to today, Monday, got a call saying that there is an update to prevent the code from reappearing, and that they will come pick the tractor up, do the update and bring it back.

Honcut

Equipment
L3301 & a hyper yellow lab named Mack
Apr 19, 2016
Loma Rica, Calif.
New to this site since getting a new L3301 last summer. Been just fine until today when the post hole auger stalled the engine. Then noticed the code P0336. Searched this site and found the answer. Will contact the dealer tomorrow and see what they want to do. Will update as soon as issue is resolved.

Dirty1

Equipment
L3901 w/ QD bucket
May 10, 2016
Brunswick
One month old L3901 same issue, Code P0336. Carried it to the dealer ( 2.5 hours loss of paying job time, my time and fuel ) because that is the Kubota way.
Tech cleared the code from the drivers seat and then with the Kubota computer.
Lugbolt is correct, it disabled the DPF and after everything was cleared the dealer stated that it required two regeneration cycles to clear the warning lamp at the panel display.
Stupid question : Using DPF to help the environment but if it fails the solution is for the computer to rev the engine ramping up to 2,000 RPM's for 20 minutes. Hooray for the U.S. Gov't. Using fuel consumption to clean exhaust. Larry, Curly and Moe would be proud.
Kubota has not notified me of any patch. If anyone has any information, please reply.
36 hours later I picked the tractor up and it shut off once by its self when I selected reverse in low range. Time will tell.
The local dealer was more than accommodating and put my machine straight in the shop since it only had 26.8 hours.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
One month old L3901 same issue, Code P0336. Carried it to the dealer ( 2.5 hours loss of paying job time, my time and fuel ) because that is the Kubota way.
That is every manufacturer's way. JD included.

Tech cleared the code from the drivers seat and then with the Kubota computer.
Lugbolt is correct, it disabled the DPF and after everything was cleared the dealer stated that it required two regeneration cycles to clear the warning lamp at the panel display.
Stupid question : Using DPF to help the environment but if it fails the solution is for the computer to rev the engine ramping up to 2,000 RPM's for 20 minutes. Hooray for the U.S. Gov't. Using fuel consumption to clean exhaust. Larry, Curly and Moe would be proud.
It's not just your tractor, it's every single diesel engine that makes more than 25hp, including diesel pickup trucks, diesel power units to run irrigation pumps, generators, big trucks, etc.

Kubota has not notified me of any patch. If anyone has any information, please reply.
36 hours later I picked the tractor up and it shut off once by its self when I selected reverse in low range. Time will tell.
That sounds more like a seat switch "issue". The seat is plastic and it flexes, I find that if I turn to the right side to look behind me when backing up or bush hogging, sometimes I'll "flex" the seat just enough to "trip" the switch, then the engine dies.

The local dealer was more than accommodating and put my machine straight in the shop since it only had 26.8 hours.
Sounds like a good dealer, especially considering the time of year...when the mowing and tractoring season is upon us. Did they reprogram the ECU? It usually takes between 10 and 20 minutes, key on engine off. If everything else is in good shape, the reprogram will solve the PO336 recurrence.

Southern Yankee

Equipment
L3301 HST, Front Loader. Land Pride Brush-Hog, Box Blade, and Quick Hitch
May 21, 2016
Wellston, Oklahoma
My L3301 has stalled at 1000 rpm and below from day one. It would just quit running but start right back up. Yesterday it quit running completely popping a P0336 error code. Anytime I pressed the gas it stalled. I was able to get it back to the shed by putting some rpm on and pressing the gas and releasing before it stalled. It moved about two feet at a time. It had just reached the 50 hour mark by the time I got to the shed. It would creep along on the concrete floor.
The only option I see is taking it to the dealer. I have had the thing for a year and a half. The dealer has never told me or given me any warranty paperwork so I have no clue if it is covered or not. Frankly, I am deeply disappointed with the whole process.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It should still be under warranty. Look for something that looks like a pamphlet in the paperwork with your bill of sale and receipt, but your dealer should have the records on his computer if you can't find it. Hopefully they can reprogram the ECU and solve your problems.

Southern Yankee

Equipment
L3301 HST, Front Loader. Land Pride Brush-Hog, Box Blade, and Quick Hitch
May 21, 2016
Wellston, Oklahoma
Still have the P0336 error code on my L3301 but inadvertently fixed the stalling problem. The seat pivot pin had slipped and I put in a cotter key (probably never installed). This put the flapper safety switch back in alignment with the seat bracket and fixed the stalling problem. Still stalls suddenly without reason while not under load but only a few times. I know I can do the 50 hour inspection but I am 75 and just had knee surgery so will probably let the dealer do it and fix the code problem at the same time.
Does anyone else have problem finding things on this site or am I just that mentally handicapped?

Last edited: