Sleeve a Broken Cylinder?

jhawk73

Equipment
B7100 HST
Jan 5, 2013
Titusville, PA
I have a D750 out of a B7100, It sat with the injectors out and must have froze. It broke a section out of the cylinder. Could it be sleeved? I think not, but has anyone tried it or had experience with it ?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Ya, I'd like to see a few pictures of that nightmare! Possible to upload a few pics for us to look at?
Yeah, me too! Don't have that problem, but always trying to learn more about the B7100.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Here's a word: Yikes!

I guess it kinda makes sense the sleeve would crack under ice. It's probably the hardest and most brittle part in there next to the rings. If it was under enough force to cause that though I'd be wary of cracks in the block. At this point your best bet is to strip it to a bare block and take it to an engine shop to get the liners removed and the block inspected for cracks. They oughta be able to fix it regardless and put some fresh sleeves in there. New pistons, rings, and bearings and you'll have a brand new engine.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
You might consider ordering 3 new sleeves, pistons, rings, bearings and gaskets and just do the whole thing at once. The machine shop could do the other two pretty quickly and then the engine would be back to original size when they are done. I submit this because with the rust I see in the bore tells me it's been apart for a while. I wonder how the other two look and measure. Any scoring or pitting in the other two and it will use oil and likely short lived. Might as well just start from new.

Just my $.02,

Steve

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Maybe. Most engine shops these days can do amazing things with cast iron. It would take some pretty catastrophic damage to warrant a backup block. Where it might be handy is if you know your running engine is dying and you want to rebuild your spare in the mean time and then just swap them.

You ever get out to Pymatuning jhawk? Pretty area. I'm in Ohio about the same drive from it you are.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
The toughest part of having the thing re-sleeved will be to find a machine shop with a boring head that is small enough. I have been searching my area and have thus far come up empty. The diameter of the boring head for standard automotive work is about the same size as the Kubota cylinder diameter, so there is simply not enough room. Shops that have the smaller boring heads are harder to find. However, that can be easily fixed by calling ones local Kubota dealer and asking which machine shop they use for block work (if they do any).

The other option is to find a shop that rebuilds small engines. Mower type stuff... They tend to have the smaller diameter boring machines but then it comes down to whether or not one wants to trust them with a Kubota block.

Last edited:

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Is the block cracked behind the sleeve? If it is it think it is ruined. Can't imagine the block is not damaged and that area is critical.