Re-assembling Hydro Cylinder

jd3l88

Equipment
L245DT with series 1200 loader
Dec 28, 2010
New Jersey, USA
Hey everyone,
I'm reassembling the lift cylinder on a model 1200 FEL. I stripped and repainted everything and got rebuild kits because all four cylinders were leaking. So far I did one of the bucket cylinders with no problem, but the lift cylinder is giving me trouble. The repair manual says to install the new V packing into the cylinder head with the lips facing in and then place the washer on top and secure the whole thing with a snap ring. I did all of that, and after I compress the V packing down enough to get the snap ring in the groove it makes it impossible to slide the piston rod into it. I soaked it in hydro fluid too. Anyone have any tricks to get the cylinder head over the piston rod? I already ruined my new paint job and probably a v packing trying to force it, and am going to have to repaint it.:confused:

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
take the packing out , reassemble with the piston rod in place and use oil
when assembleing.
Louis

jd3l88

Equipment
Dec 28, 2010
New Jersey, USA
Ok, Took the packing out and slid everything over the piston rod in order. Then put the rod into the cylinder head. I still can't get the snap ring down into the groove. It's real close. I'm using a punch to knock it down into the groove but when I hit one side the other side 180 degrees around the ring starts to raise up. Maybe make a collar out of a piece of pipe to fit the snap ring and use a press? This cylinder is really killing me. Never had one give me trouble like this

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
your on the right track, u know the old saying,
u can,t have all male pups!!! :D
Louis

jd3l88

Equipment
Dec 28, 2010
New Jersey, USA
Well I fought with it long enough and finally found the answer. The v packings I got from kubota won't fit on that cylinder, they are a fraction of an inch off. A hydraulic repair company we deal with at work came and took a look at it for me and made me a new top bushing for the vee pack a few thousandths shorter. I put it all back together and it fit perfectly. He said it never would have went back together no matter how hard I tried.