B7100 right foot clutch pedal mod?

Tom in Arizona

Equipment
B7100 w/ rough cut mower & box scraper
Aug 16, 2013
Munds Park, Arizona
Due to a stroke I have very limited use of my left arm and leg, and operating the clutch is very difficult and unreliable.

I have an older 79/80 B7100 and am hoping someone has come up with a right foot clutch pedal mod or assist rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for any ideas,

Tom

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Tom,
I will look at mine in the AM to see if I can come up with anything.
But right off the top of my head it would probably be easier to get a newer HST tractor for your needs.;)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Tom,
I will look at mine in the AM to see if I can come up with anything.
But right off the top of my head it would probably be easier to get a newer HST tractor for your needs.;)
That was my thought, but there are (at least) two considerations-
1) Money
2) Even with a hydro, the clutch is used to start (disengage driveline) the tractor and engage the pto. So, it still needs to be addressed.

How about a handle that can be (cross) reached with the right hand? Push it forward to disengage, like the hand shifters you can get for an ATV. It would need to be ergonomically planned, but you could make it so it attaches to the clutch pedal, and is easily installed/removed. That way, the tractor isn't heavily modified, hurting resale.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
2) Even with a hydro, the clutch is used to start (disengage driveline) the tractor and engage the pto. So, it still needs to be addressed.
Not on a JD

Seriously though, I think some of the newer HST Kubota's have a electrically activated PTO like JD uses so there is no clutch on these. The money problem however is not easily overcomed though...

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Not on a JD

Seriously though, I think some of the newer HST Kubota's have a electrically activated PTO like JD uses so there is no clutch on these. The money problem however is not easily overcomed though...
The new L60 has the electric PTO independent PTO and have eliminated the clutch and it appears the new Bxx50 Series also has the independent PTO and no clutch, of course this is on the HST and cost is significant.

Tom in Arizona

Equipment
Aug 16, 2013
Munds Park, Arizona
That was my thought, but there are (at least) two considerations-
1) Money

How about a handle that can be (cross) reached with the right hand? Push it forward to disengage, like the hand shifters you can get for an ATV. It would need to be ergonomically planned, but you could make it so it attaches to the clutch pedal, and is easily installed/removed. That way, the tractor isn't heavily modified, hurting resale.
That's along what I am thinking, currently using my right hand to assist left foot but awkward. Perhaps I can fabricating some sort of U or V shaped rod on a pivot bracket to cross over the center. All ideas appreciated.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
My bx does not use a clutch pedal and it is hydro. Don't even use a pedal to engage the pto. Just move a lever with your hand.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
We are digressing- he doesn't have a John Deere, and hasn't expressed the desire or opportunity to get a BX. He has an older, gear driven B7100. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the most viable solution is one that works with the tractor that he has.

Tom in Arizona

Equipment
Aug 16, 2013
Munds Park, Arizona
We are digressing- he doesn't have a John Deere, and hasn't expressed the desire or opportunity to get a BX. He has an older, gear driven B7100. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the most viable solution is one that works with the tractor that he has.
Correct, replacing the tractor is not an option. Designing a linkage to the right side is what I am working on.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Correct, replacing the tractor is not an option. Designing a linkage to the right side is what I am working on.
I bet it can be done, and for cheap, too. Gears are turning.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not sure about any way to convert the clutch to right side without some sort of Rube Goldberg linkage system. However, I don't think it would be terribly difficult at all to convert to a hand clutch. I know asymmetric bias is often universal (hand and foot), but if your left hand works adequately, that might be an option?

Never mind, reread the first post and I see that your arm is also involved. I'll try to take a look at mine tomorrow and see what might be contrived. Not sure it would be any less complex, but are you open to a right hand clutch?

Here is another idea just off the top of my head. What about a screw based linear actuator? Smooth analog travel with simple toggle, perhaps mounted on the shifter. One direction to depress, center dead to hold position, the other direction to release.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I bet it can be done, and for cheap, too. Gears are turning.
Boss I know your gears are cranking up pretty fast. Mine are too. I'd be willing to load up and haul my B6100 gear out to your place for a mock up and see if our two heads together can come up with a device to solve this man's problem. Could be a week or two before I could head your way.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I scanned one of those links tripler listed and saw something that might work. A 12 volt linear acturator. northern tool, # 125010-2308

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I'm not sure about any way to convert the clutch to right side without some sort of Rube Goldberg linkage system. However, I don't think it would be terribly difficult at all to convert to a hand clutch. I know asymmetric bias is often universal (hand and foot), but if your left hand works adequately, that might be an option?

Never mind, reread the first post and I see that your arm is also involved. I'll try to take a look at mine tomorrow and see what might be contrived. Not sure it would be any less complex, but are you open to a right hand clutch?

Here is another idea just off the top of my head. What about a screw based linear actuator? Smooth analog travel with simple toggle, perhaps mounted on the shifter. One direction to depress, center dead to hold position, the other direction to release.
How fast/slow would that be? It would have to cycle appropriately so that the clutch doesn't engage too slowly/slip, or too fast and jerk.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
There is a more straight forward way to have a right hand clutch on these early b series, but, it does mean losing the split rear brake facitily, but then how often is it used aanyway, i very rarely use the rear brakes independly anymore.
just keep one brake pedal for the brakes and the other for the clutch, quite easy to fabricate a new linkage for using a right hand side pedal as the clutch as the brakes use the same pivot shaft.
cant see it being a major problem to make a conversion .
have a look at the pedal layout and you'll see what i mean.
rob

Tom in Arizona

Equipment
Aug 16, 2013
Munds Park, Arizona
There is a more straight forward way to have a right hand clutch on these early b series, but, it does mean losing the split rear brake facitily, but then how often is it used aanyway, i very rarely use the rear brakes independly anymore.
just keep one brake pedal for the brakes and the other for the clutch, quite easy to fabricate a new linkage for using a right hand side pedal as the clutch as the brakes use the same pivot shaft.
cant see it being a major problem to make a conversion .
have a look at the pedal layout and you'll see what i mean.
rob
Thanks Rob, had not considered that concept and I will explore that.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
How fast/slow would that be? It would have to cycle appropriately so that the clutch doesn't engage too slowly/slip, or too fast and jerk.
Different actuators work with different rate and travel limits, and can vary depending on the controller inputs. I've seen them in manufacturing setups that have what I would consider about the right travel and rate compared to the way I use the clutch. And the rate can even be varied so that it comes to a point smoothly for initial engagement, then accelerates to complete the travel. That's what made me think of them. Certainly not as simple or fool proof as a mechanical linkage, but once configured, other than keeping the clutch adjusted to the same take-up, it should work well for most stuff. The only problem I see is that in the simple solution it would be pretty much set and non variable. So if you found yourself in an off-camber or otherwise precarious situation, there would be no option to "feather it" or the like.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I checked it out, like Rob pointed out swapping the brake and clutch is pretty simple on that model. you will just need to make some new linkages.
It would end up giving you one useful brake right side, since your left side is impaired but if you normally take it slow and easy and no steep hills then you would be fine with that set up.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
just thought of a couple more ways , but my first is probably easiest to be honest as it involves less fabriacting of parts, with a little bit of creative fabriaction of a few linkages it will still be possible to have both rear brakes work correctly via the single pedal and leaving the other for the clutch.
I cant see it taking long to do the conversion and certainly cost very little.
keep us updated on how you get on.

good luck sir.
rob