L235 Hydraulics Relief Valve??????

MikeL

Equipment
L185F L245DT L1200 L1700 L235 L4530B
Aug 29, 2012
Falls, PA
I recently picked up an L235 with an L1200 loader and a 4530B backhoe. Hydraulics were a mess. The machine had been flipped and the main hydraulic pipe was cut and spliced directly to the loader control. Found a used pipe and replaced. The loader still worked fine. The lift arm control valve was set off in the lock position. Turned it on and arms work, but keep floating up and now there is no pressure to the loader. It seems like the control valve is sticking. I do not see a relief valve on the schematic parts. Only 700 hours on the unit with a new hydraulic pump. Any ideas what to clean/disassemble to fix the issue.

"I do not always drive a tractor, but when I do, I prefer Kubota, Stay Orange my friends!"

lucky24

Aug 27, 2012
canada
i had that problem with a fortlift what it was one of the seals in the ram was bypassing i replaced seale and all is fine

MikeL

Equipment
Aug 29, 2012
Falls, PA
Removed pressure relief valve from loader control, cleaned it up, and voila. Problem solved.:)

Girdlebug

Equipment
L245dt
Nov 8, 2012
New castle, co
Newbie here - this is my first go at hydraulics, I just bought a l245dt :D

My 3pt lift is pretty weak and scouring the wealth of info on OTT, I've flushed the hydro/tranny fluid, replaced hydraulic screen and cleaned out vent tube. It seems better, but still not getting the lift I need for the back blade. I.e. 3 pt lifts when no implement is on, but halts if you put it under weight.

I'm wanting to check the relief valve, but just wanted to check on the process before I pull that plug...can someone give me the lowdown on cleaning that pup? Does it have to be installed at a specific torque?

Thanks and what I've picked up thus far on OTT has me a very serviceable tractor! Thx!

MikeL

Equipment
Aug 29, 2012
Falls, PA
The original pump on the L245 was not overly powerful or speedy. I have a pump on my L185 that was too weak/slow to run the FEL on my L245, but does fine lifting a flail mower or rake. I have pulled the PRVs on all of my machines and tightened them to "just enough" with no issues. My "just enough" is based on what is being held together and size/material. As I remember, you have a couple of o-ring in there. Pull it, clean it out, check that the valve and spring are free, check and/or replace o-rings and snug it back together. If it leaks, tighten it some more. If the lift is still too weak, I would get the pressure out of the pump tested.

amaurymsa

Equipment
L245DT with FEL
Aug 27, 2012
TOURNAI, BELGIUM
Hi Girdlebug,
if you follow indication of MikeL, please come back with pics,

i had(have) the same problem on my 245dt
drained fluid and changed the screen, better but not really fantastic.
so i you solve the problem, let me (us) know...

you speak also of "cleaned out vent tube", where is it?

thanks!

amaurymsa

Equipment
L245DT with FEL
Aug 27, 2012
TOURNAI, BELGIUM
Hi Girdlebug,
if you follow indication of MikeL, please come back with pics,

i had(have) the same problem on my 245dt
drained fluid and changed the screen, better but not really fantastic.
so i you solve the problem, let me (us) know...

you speak also of "cleaned out vent tube", where is it?

thanks!

Girdlebug

Equipment
L245dt
Nov 8, 2012
New castle, co
MikeL - thanks for the help. The loader seems to run fine, lifts good and strong - the 3 pt hitch on the other hand is the one that struggles with even light loads. That said, can we assume the pump is putting out sufficient pressure?

Like I said I'm pretty green with hydraulic systems, and associate relief valves with pressure and just wanted to make sure I wasn't going open anything under pressure.

Amaurymsa - one of the great things about this forum seems to be the follow up with solutions. I'll post back my results.

The vent tube on my tractor is right below the seat on my left side (if I was sitting on the tractor). It is a threaded tube that can be removed and cleaned out (recommended on another thread) - mine was full of mud?

amaurymsa

Equipment
L245DT with FEL
Aug 27, 2012
TOURNAI, BELGIUM
The vent tube on my tractor is right below the seat on my left side (if I was sitting on the tractor). It is a threaded tube that can be removed and cleaned out (recommended on another thread) - mine was full of mud?
can you post a pic?
nothing seems to look like on mine 245...
thanks...

Girdlebug

Equipment
L245dt
Nov 8, 2012
New castle, co
amaurymsa,

Sorry this took so long, here's the vent tube I was reffering to...this is a photo of the left side (sitting on tractor) of the tractor directly below my seat - it's the bent tube in the middle of the photo. It's threaded into the case and should screw out.

I've got my hydraulic fluid drained right now, doing some axle work, but will post back after I get everything put back together. Mine was really gummed up, had to blow it out with the compressor.

image.jpg

Last edited:

amaurymsa

Equipment
L245DT with FEL
Aug 27, 2012
TOURNAI, BELGIUM
amaurymsa,

Sorry this took so long, here's the vent tube I was reffering to...this is a photo of the left side (sitting on tractor) of the tractor directly below my seat - it's the bent tube in the middle of the photo. It's threaded into the case and should screw out.

I've got my hydraulic fluid drained right now, doing some axle work, but will post back after I get everything put back together. Mine was really gummed up, had to blow it out with the compressor.

View attachment 6490
Thanks,
i'll have a look next weekend, just put the kubota sleeping for the week..
keep us posted.