Turbo B7100

BoostedB7100

Equipment
B7100 Turbo, kubota auger, kubota tiller, woods blade, 48" mower
Feb 27, 2012
Scappoose, OR
Hello, im new to this site, although i have read through quite a few articles before i joined. Just figured I would share my tractor. I inherited my B7100 three years ago when my grandfather passed. I grew up on this tractor, every year i was out mowing the field for him, drilling post holes, tilling the garden and whatever else was needed to be done. When i got this tractor it was in pretty rough shape from sitting out in the weather for years and years in an Oregon climate.... Since i got it i have put lots of hours into cleaning up, and fixing all its little issues. I have replaced all the tires with new silicone ballast filled ag's, i have completely rebuilt the hydraulic system, including replacing the spool valve. I converted the headlights to a custom snap in halogen kit. I added a utility strobe and worklight. Last but not least.... Have you ever just wanted just a tiny bit more power out of your kubota? I have, mowing fields especially. So i decided after quite a bit of planning and research a turbo was the best way to go :) I custom fit a rebuilt mitsubishi Td03 off of a Volvo XC90 onto my B7100. Adding a turbo and turning up the fuel as well as sligtly retarding the timing gave me a significant power increase. I am running 5 psi to the engine which it seems to love. I am still waiting to get it on a dyno for some exact numbers but, turning a 4' mower cutting 3' tall grass now only requires a touch over half throttle and i nearly doubled my travel speed :)

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
That's really cool! A turbo is over kill for my little 2 cyl but I've always kinda wanted to try it. :D How did you increase the fuel?

BoostedB7100

Equipment
Feb 27, 2012
Scappoose, OR
On the d750 engine there is a fuel adjustment on the front of the injection pump facing the radiator. There is a small tin cap over a 19mm capnut and locknut, remove the tin cap, capnut, back off the lock nut and turn the adjustment screw counter clockwise. I found naturally aspirated dont go more than a half turn out otherwise the tractor gets extemely smokey and acually looses power and will run hotter. When i added the turbo i went out about a turn and a half to make a nice balance of power with the added airflow of the turbo. It actually doesnt smoke at all when the turbo spools up. Under full load my egt's are still only about 950 deg. F. 1300 deg. Is overheating.

All and all im very pleased with it and im glad you like it as well :)

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh! I was wondering what that was.

I pulled that out when I was cleaning the timing gear cover and I thinking it was some sort of idle buffer so the engine wouldn't stall when you dropped the throttle. I'm not at the stage where it's even time to think about adjusting the pump yet. Guess I'll have to readjust mine :D

Amazing you get all that out of 5psi. You just splice into tap for the oil pressure switch to get oil to the turbo?

BoostedB7100

Equipment
Feb 27, 2012
Scappoose, OR
Amazing you get all that out of 5psi. You just splice into tap for the oil pressure switch to get oil to the turbo?
Its actually really easy to plumb the oil feed and return, the feed comes off of the oil pressure switch port with a T that feeds the switch and the turbo both. As for the return i had to drill and tap the oil pan drain plug port to 1/4" npt. This is super easy to do because the metric fine thread is soooo close to 1/4 npt its not even funny, you run the 7/16 bit through and tap away. After that i added a 1/4 npt to #8 JIC fitting(hydraulic), put a #8 JIC T in, with a cap on the bottom for draining oil and a 5/8 push-lok hose barb facing the rear of the tractor and snaked a tube from there up to the bottom of the turbo for the oil drain back. There isnt a whole lot of working room around the drain plug so that was the only combination of fittings i could get to work..... I tried quite a few haha.

CAE

Equipment
B7100
Dec 28, 2011
Evergreen, Colorado
That's sweet, very nice job.
I'd love to do that some day, I live at 7500' ft. elevation so my Kubota is lacking even more than most up at this altitude.
I have a question for you, would you adjust the pump for my elevation?
If so how much?
Thanks,
CAE

BoostedB7100

Equipment
Feb 27, 2012
Scappoose, OR
There is really no good way to estimate the increase :-( However the best way to tune a diesel is by amount of smoke under load and exhaust gas temperature(egt's). I tuned mine first by visibly watching the amount of black smoke under load. With factory fuel settings and the turbo there was literally no smoke under load. So I increased fuel untill it smoked moderately under load. Then i added a pyrometer. Egt's in a diesel engine should never exceed 1350deg f. anything under that is perfect. So i attached the mower and put it under a hard load, bogging the engine down even with the turbo, the highest temperature I saw was 950deg. Wich means i can add a little bit more fuel untill the maximum temperature i saw under hard load was 1200 deg. I actually got another half turn on the fuel adjustment and an extra 1.5 psi out of the turbo. pyrometer tuning is one of the best ways to tune an old mechanical diesel and is what i would recommend for high altitude tuning. I could guess but i would hate to give you false information.

Last edited:

CAE

Equipment
B7100
Dec 28, 2011
Evergreen, Colorado
Thanks for the information, I have a mildly modded 2001 CTD dodge with a EGT gauge that I used to tune it. I had to do exactly what you said, I basically de-tuned it until I could floor it and keep the EGT's under 1300 deg F while towing.
Where did you get your pyrometer for your Kubota?

BoostedB7100

Equipment
Feb 27, 2012
Scappoose, OR
I purchased a universal autometer pyrometer kit from Napa, it came with everything i needed for the install. I just drilled and tapped the manifold right before the outlet flange, i had to shim it up with some washers because the probe works best when its centered in the exhaust flow. I also purchased the matching boost gauge and water temp guage kits. I'm working on a hood mounted gauge cluster i should have it welded up by Monday. Ill post some pics :)

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
@BoostedB7100: Looks like you are crazy enough to join our club... :D

Adding a turbo is really something special. I hope your little friend will stay healthy.
Have fun and welcome.

der carl

BoostedB7100

Equipment
Feb 27, 2012
Scappoose, OR
@BoostedB7100: Looks like you are crazy enough to join our club... :D

Adding a turbo is really something special. I hope your little friend will stay healthy.
Have fun and welcome.

der carl
Thank you :D I am a little crazy at times haha

I'm hoping having the correct tuning and not pushing too much boost, will keep her running good for many years to come :)

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Bah it's old (old design) naturally aspirated diesel, it's so over built you could run it at 20psi and it'd be happy as a clam. :)

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
BoostedB7100, i'm disappointed with you over this project for 2 reasons. First and maybe the most important is, NO video yet!!! Come on, we have to see and hear it!! And idle, start up, under heavy load. Oh Please???? And secondly,now you got me wanting to do this. Wow. Nice job Bro.

BoostedB7100

Equipment
Feb 27, 2012
Scappoose, OR
BoostedB7100, i'm disappointed with you over this project for 2 reasons. First and maybe the most important is, NO video yet!!! Come on, we have to see and hear it!! And idle, start up, under heavy load. Oh Please???? And secondly,now you got me wanting to do this. Wow. Nice job Bro.
Hahaha Thanks man.

We have been having some real crappy weather out here lately so she hasn't seen a whole lot of field work yet but as soon as I get the chance i will be sure to put up some good action videos. Until then ill get a startup and driving vid up within the next few days. Im working on my hood mounted guage cluster right now so as soon as i get some pretty guages on her ill shoot the video :)

If you do ever decide to go the turbo route i would be more than happy to help. :D

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
well thats brill, and can you believe it, i was only thinking to myself yesterday, i wonder if it is possible to fit a turbo to a B7100.
I was browing ebay for kubota parts and started looking at turbochargers with the self same mad idea also.
I think it is time to get the "Big" tool box out....:D:D and start plumbing.

nice job that man.

BoostedB7100

Equipment
Feb 27, 2012
Scappoose, OR
well thats brill, and can you believe it, i was only thinking to myself yesterday, i wonder if it is possible to fit a turbo to a B7100.
I was browing ebay for kubota parts and started looking at turbochargers with the self same mad idea also.
I think it is time to get the "Big" tool box out....:D:D and start plumbing.

nice job that man.
Thank you!

Glad I could inspire you :D Let me know if you have any questions.

johnb6100

Equipment
woods rm48, 91 cummins,00 foreman,78bronco,86 4runner,88 bronco2
Mar 10, 2012
fayette county,tn
thats sweet! i just picked up a cherry b6100 hste and im in the middle of puting a charger on mine. im glad to here that it works so well! I also like the gauge pod! and the black wheels are awsome!