trouble with hydraulic quick connects

sgschmir

May 30, 2010
Westby, WI
I am having problems getting my BH hydraulics reconnected; when i try to hook up the line from the BH to the tractor I can't push it in quite far enough to conncect, the connectors are clean and not damaged? When I reconnect the tractor line back into the tractor receiver it connect ok, but the BH one i cannot quite get. Is it something to do with the particular position of the connector when I disconnected? is there a way to relieve that so I can connect it easily? How do you avoid getting into this situation to begin with? Thanks for the help. 2630/BH

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
Take that male QD and wrap in a rag and then push the ball against something to relieve the pressure --- wrap in a rag so you can catch the sqirt of hydraulic fluid and avoid making a mess. If your BH is sitting out in the sun or in a hot shed, the pressure will build a little after you disconnect. That makes it hard to reconnect without relieving the built up pressure.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I used to run a forlkift that you could take the forks off and put a scoop bucket on. We had to turn the lift off and leave the key in the on posistion and then wobbel the joystick all around to get rid of back pressure in the hyd lines. The quick connect lines would never hook up unless you wobbeled the joystick. Maybe try shaking the loader controls all around and play with the 3pt lift lever and see if that might run fluids back down when the tractor is off.

John Pollock

Equipment
B2920HSD,RCK-60-29B Mower, LA364FEL,Land Pride LR-05 Landscape Rake,
May 31, 2010
Lebanon Springs, NY
I just spent the better part of the weekend trying to hook up a new FEL that I had removed with the tractor running, not knowing to relieve the hydraulic pressure first. I tried all the tricks like turning the switch on and moving the control arm around. The pressure on the tractor side was not the problem as I could easily depress the plungers on the male fittings. The FEL side was another story as 2 of the female fittings would depress easily and 2 would not move with any kind of pressure I could apply. I finally called my dealer and was told to insert a 6 inch x 3/8 bolt into the female fitting and strike it with a hammer to relieve the pressure. Worked like a charm. If I did it again, I would wrap a rag around the fitting and lower part of the bolt and wear safety glasses before applying the hammer as the burst of fluid that comes out can be intense. Once the pressure was relieved, the connectors were easy to snap into place. I hope this makes somebodys weekend go a bit better than mine did.

~ John

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Take that male QD and wrap in a rag and then push the ball against something to relieve the pressure --- wrap in a rag so you can catch the sqirt of hydraulic fluid and avoid making a mess. If your BH is sitting out in the sun or in a hot shed, the pressure will build a little after you disconnect. That makes it hard to reconnect without relieving the built up pressure.
I know this thread is really old but. . .

I just want to thank bruceatlam for this reply :) I haven't had my backhoe on the L3400 in quite a while and could not get the quick connects to seat fully :mad:

I turned off the machine & relieved the pressure on the front bucket - well apparently not all the pressure ;) I let the tractor sit overnight and easy peasy, they connected without any difficulty.

You have to love the interwebby :)

Thanks again!

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
If the connectors on it cannot connect together, consider swapping them out for some that can. When you go to hook them back up to the tractor, disconnecting them should bleed out enough of the pressure to be able to hook it back up to the machine.