Hydraulic Cylinder rebuild

kemptvilleguy

Equipment
LS 2500
Sep 13, 2011
KEMPTV ILLE ONTARIO CANADA
I did a thread search and found one that said the cylinders were relatively easy to rebuild so I went ahead and got the seal kits. Maybe I'm missing something. The part that threads directly into the cylinder (believe its called the head) has an inner seal right in the centre of it. Does that "head" come apart into 2 peices? If so is it threaded or pressed? I cannot seem to figure out how to get that seal in withouth that head coming apart. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thank you

Bruce

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Is the seal you are talking about just a O-ring or what?
I really wouldn't think the head is pressed on. If it was the hyd pressure probably would just pop it off the rod.

Dad03

Equipment
L3200HST
Sep 17, 2011
Columbia, TN
I just replaced the seals on one of mine. The center seal came out with a pick and a little patience. The new one went back in by hand and a little more patience.

kemptvilleguy

Equipment
LS 2500
Sep 13, 2011
So as it turns out, the Kubota dealer (by chance) gave me the wrong seal kit but was kind enough to exchange the wrong ones for the right ones. The centre seal was a peice of cake to get in as it was the correct thickness. I thought I was laughing but not so. There are 3 "rings" on the opposite end, 2 of which simply split and stretch off of the piston but the centre one :mad::mad: is not rubber or is a hard rubber that doesnt retain its original shape and size after its been stretched and there is NO way that I can see to get it on without stretching it. I even tried soaking it in boiling water to no avail. I've mangled one already and am fit to be tied so I was hoping someone could shed some light on how to get those on. Would be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Bruce

johneich

Equipment
B7200
Sep 10, 2011
boles IL
I assume you soaked them in hydraulic oil, I heard of one guy that boiled them in hydraulic oil, I am not recommending it, but if you do, do it outside, on a camp stove.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
So as it turns out, the Kubota dealer (by chance) gave me the wrong seal kit but was kind enough to exchange the wrong ones for the right ones. The centre seal was a peice of cake to get in as it was the correct thickness. I thought I was laughing but not so. There are 3 "rings" on the opposite end, 2 of which simply split and stretch off of the piston but the centre one :mad::mad: is not rubber or is a hard rubber that doesnt retain its original shape and size after its been stretched and there is NO way that I can see to get it on without stretching it. I even tried soaking it in boiling water to no avail. I've mangled one already and am fit to be tied so I was hoping someone could shed some light on how to get those on. Would be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Bruce
You work them on CAREFULLY with a small seal pick being careful to not nick the seal or stretch it to much. I do them dry but many like to lube them up. After you get it on let it sit for a few minutes then lube it good and insert it into the cylinder barrel. I've never had one leak, maybe you'll be so lucky! LOL
Ed

kemptvilleguy

Equipment
LS 2500
Sep 13, 2011
You work them on CAREFULLY with a small seal pick being careful to not nick the seal or stretch it to much. I do them dry but many like to lube them up. After you get it on let it sit for a few minutes then lube it good and insert it into the cylinder barrel. I've never had one leak, maybe you'll be so lucky! LOL
Ed
Ed, I tried putting one in dry but I dont have a seal pick. I used a tiny flat screwdriver but the diameter of the parts of the pison that you have to get by to get it to the centre groove dictate that it must be stretched. When I tried to put it back into the barrel thereafter, it just got mangled up in the threads because it was protruding too much....

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I helped my buddy that builds my cylinders do one yesterday. He gave me a good tip for the seal you are talking about. He said if that seal is sticking out to use a hose clamp to squeeze it down. After about 15 minutes remove the clamp and it will stay in place long enough to get it back down in the barrel.

kemptvilleguy

Equipment
LS 2500
Sep 13, 2011
I helped my buddy that builds my cylinders do one yesterday. He gave me a good tip for the seal you are talking about. He said if that seal is sticking out to use a hose clamp to squeeze it down. After about 15 minutes remove the clamp and it will stay in place long enough to get it back down in the barrel.
Thanks brother. My backyard tractor mechanic neighbour said that he does it that way also. I'm heading for the hardware store in a minute to pick up a gear clamp. It's frustrating that I have to buy a whole new kit for the one that I mangled but, oh well a lesson learned! Thanks guys and will report back later on success or failure.

Bruce

Dad03

Equipment
L3200HST
Sep 17, 2011
Columbia, TN
If you have one of those walnut cracker and pick sets that always shows up at x-mas use that pick. Not 100% but better than a screwdriver.

If you re-use it at X-mas is up to you:D

kemptvilleguy

Equipment
LS 2500
Sep 13, 2011
Managed to get one back together using the gear clamp and ordered another kit this morning to replace the mangled ring so I should be operational again early next week.

Thanks guys. This is a great site. :)

Bruce

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
When I tried to put it back into the barrel thereafter, it just got mangled up in the threads because it was protruding too much....
In similar scenarios I have taken a plastic soda bottle, cut out a section a few inches tall, slit that up the side. Then weasel that into the cylinder over the threads or ridge or snap ring groove, slobber it all nice with hydraulic fluid and everything slides in through the "funnel" past the obstructions. Inexpensive, disposable, and there always seems to be a bottle hanging around.