Seal on 1200 series loader

jd3l88

Equipment
L245DT with series 1200 loader
Dec 28, 2010
New Jersey, USA
Hey everyone, First post here but have been browsing the site for about a month as I restore my dad's LT245DT. Lots of good information. I have the service manuals for the tractor and the 1200 series loader but they are from the 80's. For the most part they do ok, and I have a pretty good deal of experience with this stuff beingI'm a mechanic at an outdoor power equipment shop. However I haven't done much hydraulic work, and the book says to "install the wiper seal into the cylinder head with the lip of the seal facing out". I never would have thought to install it that way, and when I took it apart originally I thought someone else must have replaced it years ago backwards. I can understand that maybe that is the way it needs to be done to keep debris from getting into the cylinder. Anyone done this rebuild lately that remembers if my book is correct? This is the lift cylinder by the way not the bucket cylinder

Hopefully I'll have some before and after pictures for you all soon. Thanks, Joe.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm no hydraulic expert but it sounds to me the way you describe the seal lip outward is the correct way for it to go. Those little wipers don't seem like much but they are a life saver.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
There are 2 lips on most seals. The one with the garter spring wound around the inside of the lip faces the hyd pressure.