Help -3-pt. hitch won't lower (with load)!

twomanyprojects

Equipment
L225
Mar 23, 2010
Carpinteria, CA, USA
Having more problems with my L225 with backhoe mounted on the 3-point hitch. I recently changed the hydraulic fluid and cleaned the filter, now the 3-point hitch will raise, but not lower. The control linkage from the lift arm to the control lever is not the problem, it just won't go down with the lever forward in the down position.

Any ideas where to go from here? The backhoe and 3PH seem to be all the way up, and nothing goes down.

Thanks

Frank

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
On my 235, right in front of the seat is a "thumbwheel'. If that gets turned "clockwise" by repeated bumping of your foot when you're getting off the tractor, it will stop the 3 point from lowering. It actually controls how fast the 3 point drops.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Could be air in the hyd system and its keeping it from going back down. Try and burb the hyd lines and see if you can get some air out of the system.

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
If you crack the nut on that lowering speed valve, you can bleed out the air that may be trapped in the cylinder. Back it off slowly, it could possibly spray out fluid. After it goes down, try it again and see if it is any different.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Frank, do you have any quick disconnets? I failed to properly connect one on my L35 by not locking it in place. Everything would go one direction, but not the other. Connecting the quick disconnect properly solved my problem. Hope it is something simple.

twomanyprojects

Equipment
L225
Mar 23, 2010
Carpinteria, CA, USA
Problem Found! Re: Help -3-pt. hitch won't lower (with load)!

Eureka - I have found it!

The problem is in the fall speed adjuster under the seat - I had turned it many times to make sure it was open, but the valve is failing internally and was not opening. I turned it a whole lot more, and if finally opened and let the backhoe drop! :) Now I need to repair the fall speed adjuster valve, but at least that is easier to do.

I'm back in business, at least on that one. I'm still taking the front end loader off and taking the tractor to someone to check/replace the throw out bearing though, as I feel it is shot. (Plus I don't have the time and facilities to do it my self.)

Thanks for the help.

Frank