L235 3 point hitch control

jagnweiner

Equipment
L235DT
Nov 14, 2017
Geneseo, IL
My brother has a L235 DT that has a problem with the raising and lowering of the 3 point hitch. If he holds the lever up by hand, the hitch will stay raised, but as soon as he lets go, the lever and the hitch immediately drop down to the lowered position. It is a condition that apparently has gotten progressively worse since he has owned it. There is a movable "stop" with a wing nut that can be moved to hold it up when not in use, but that obviously doesn't really work when trying to use a rear blade.

Is there a way to adjust the friction on the lever? Or is this a sign of something more serious that is wrong?

Thanks,
Scott

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
My brother has a L235 DT that has a problem with the raising and lowering of the 3 point hitch. If he holds the lever up by hand, the hitch will stay raised, but as soon as he lets go, the lever and the hitch immediately drop down to the lowered position. It is a condition that apparently has gotten progressively worse since he has owned it. There is a movable "stop" with a wing nut that can be moved to hold it up when not in use, but that obviously doesn't really work when trying to use a rear blade.

Is there a way to adjust the friction on the lever? Or is this a sign of something more serious that is wrong?

Thanks,
Scott

Possibly something wearing out, but attached are the L235-L275 Owners Manual Hydraulic pages.....

Attachments

jagnweiner

Equipment
L235DT
Nov 14, 2017
Geneseo, IL
Thanks, Bill. Much appreciated. I suppose we can try adjusting the "down speed control," but not sure if that will do anything. The problem is that while the manual says "push the lever forward to lower the implement," no pushing is necessary. The lever just automatically falls to the lowered position unless physically held up.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If the lever isn't staying put. Then the issue is a simple adjustment ;) follow the level down. There should be a a couple nuts and crush washer, or plastic bushings. Should just need to adjust the tension for the lever.

The adjustment is down at the bottom of the lever. Near where it ties into the transmission.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jagnweiner

Equipment
L235DT
Nov 14, 2017
Geneseo, IL
If the lever isn't staying put. Then the issue is a simple adjustment ;) follow the level down. There should be a a couple nuts and crush washer, or plastic bushings. Should just need to adjust the tension for the lever.

The adjustment is down at the bottom of the lever. Near where it ties into the transmission.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Great! Thanks, Daren. We'll give that a try. That's kind of what I was thinking and hoping.

And Bill, thanks for the shop manual pages.

Last edited:

jagnweiner

Equipment
L235DT
Nov 14, 2017
Geneseo, IL
Well, gentlemen, sadness abounds. My brother made the adjustment, which was all well and good, but when he hooked up a box blade, it would try to raise, but didn’t have enough power. The hydraulics on the front end loader work fine, but not the 3 point hitch. I believe it had been at least six months since he had lifted anything with the hitch.

Any ideas on where to start? I’m a little new to hydraulics.

Thanks,
Scott

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the control part of the valve was not in the complete down position when he tightened up the lever it could be only partially opening.

Pictures of how the front end loader was hooked up will help too, wouldn't be the first time I've seen one hooked up wrong effecting the three point operations.

jagnweiner

Equipment
L235DT
Nov 14, 2017
Geneseo, IL
If the control part of the valve was not in the complete down position when he tightened up the lever it could be only partially opening.

Pictures of how the front end loader was hooked up will help too, wouldn't be the first time I've seen one hooked up wrong effecting the three point operations.
Thanks, Wolfman. I'll try to stop over at his place tonight and see what I can find out. I don't think the FEL was hooked up wrong, because one hose is male and the other female, but I'll still try to get some pics.

jagnweiner

Equipment
L235DT
Nov 14, 2017
Geneseo, IL
Great news! The most disconcerting problem, lack of lift, has been solved. First off, I was mistaken when I said my brother had made the friction adjustment on the arm; he had not.

I finally made it over to his house to assess the situation and take any necessary photos. Now that I’m armed with a little knowledge about these things, the first thing I noticed was that the lowering speed adjustment knob was pretty far out, so I cranked it in a turn. I started it up, gave it a little throttle, and voila!, raised the box blade just fine. I didn’t observe his original problem, but I’m left to assume that this adjustment must have been the solution. Can that be adjusted so far out that it keeps it from lifting?

Once I had it working, I adjusted the knob a little more to get to a good lowering speed. I need to go back with some tools to adjust the arm friction. I assume those nuts are metric?

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I noticed was that the lowering speed adjustment knob was pretty far out, so I cranked it in a turn. but I’m left to assume that this adjustment must have been the solution. Can that be adjusted so far out that it keeps it from lifting?

Once I had it working, I adjusted the knob a little more to get to a good lowering speed. I need to go back with some tools to adjust the arm friction. I assume those nuts are metric?
Yes if you close it all the way it will neither drop nor lift. ;)

And yes the nuts are metric, sorry cant tell you the size on that model.

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Great news! The most disconcerting problem, lack of lift, has been solved. First off, I was mistaken when I said my brother had made the friction adjustment on the arm; he had not.

I finally made it over to his house to assess the situation and take any necessary photos. Now that I’m armed with a little knowledge about these things, the first thing I noticed was that the lowering speed adjustment knob was pretty far out, so I cranked it in a turn. I started it up, gave it a little throttle, and voila!, raised the box blade just fine. I didn’t observe his original problem, but I’m left to assume that this adjustment must have been the solution. Can that be adjusted so far out that it keeps it from lifting?

Thanks,
Scott

Excellent, always good when a fix does not require a repair.
;)