Auger for B2650

Keeth1123

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Dec 13, 2018
Sunshine state
Before anyone gets too crazy, I have read numerous articles about which auger to use for the B2650. As a result, I have an idea of which one to purchase. What I am wanting to hear is people who actually have a 2650 and auger. I want to hear the review of your product and how it went when using it.

For me, I will be installing 5 acres worth of fencing as well as planting numerous trees in the future; however, the fence project is top priority. Luckily, my property is soft sand as the lot was formerly planted property. I only anticipate a few holes that may pose problematic as they are through some gravel. I plan to move this gravel as it is needed to be gone anyway.

Throw in any tips and tricks that you have learned in keeping the process running smoothly and ending with a professional looking fence.

I plan on purchasing a 9" auger bit as this one bit seems to be a good compromise to get the larger corner posts and the normal posts as well. As far as for the auger itself, I was looking at one of the models from Tractor Supply or Rural King.

Again, I have read the horror stories of people telling the poster that the tractor is tool small and it will never do it unless it is digging "jello" but I have not seen too many responses from actual owners who tried it.

Materials:

Red Brand field fence
6" corner posts (wood)
4" posts (wood)
(1) 12' main gate
(2) 8' gates w/ attached field fence on south and west fence lines

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
I haven't used one with my tractor yet but I'd like to hear your experience when you get yours.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
No direct experience with a B2650, but I put my fence in years ago with a much smaller B8200 without issue. Your 2650 will be more than capable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Nothing to do with your questions but for the fence...
I recommend you learn how to make a strong H brace or L brace for the corners. Look at Kencove fencing for steel pins to hold the horizontal brace to the vertical posts and help hold the tension wire in place.

You may want to learn about hi tension field fence.

You may want to learn to gut stretch the fence.

You may want to look at gripple brand devices to join and stretch fence. They also sell nice kits to use for the h brace instead of twisting wire.

You may want a smaller diameter auger for the line posts or you may have trouble keeping them vertical.

Base everything on 8 foot post spacing for field fence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
Before anyone gets too crazy, I have read numerous articles about which auger to use for the B2650. As a result, I have an idea of which one to purchase. What I am wanting to hear is people who actually have a 2650 and auger. I want to hear the review of your product and how it went when using it.

For me, I will be installing 5 acres worth of fencing as well as planting numerous trees in the future; however, the fence project is top priority. Luckily, my property is soft sand as the lot was formerly planted property. I only anticipate a few holes that may pose problematic as they are through some gravel. I plan to move this gravel as it is needed to be gone anyway.

Throw in any tips and tricks that you have learned in keeping the process running smoothly and ending with a professional looking fence.

I plan on purchasing a 9" auger bit as this one bit seems to be a good compromise to get the larger corner posts and the normal posts as well. As far as for the auger itself, I was looking at one of the models from Tractor Supply or Rural King.

Again, I have read the horror stories of people telling the poster that the tractor is tool small and it will never do it unless it is digging "jello" but I have not seen too many responses from actual owners who tried it.

Materials:

Red Brand field fence
6" corner posts (wood)
4" posts (wood)
(1) 12' main gate
(2) 8' gates w/ attached field fence on south and west fence lines

you may want to rent/or get someone to use a post pounder they are easy to use and faster than digging holes

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
Or consider post pounders rather than drilling holes.

Amazing what they can drive a post into. A mini pile driver and not hard on your tractor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvpuvaLUqaM

Dave
The smallest post pounder (of that brand) requires 12 GPM hydraulic flow; but the total hydraulic flow the B2650 produces is only 8.7 GPM. Since the ram speed is the main driving force, I would say it would not work to well on that size tractor... the flow is just to low.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I already had an auger that I used with my 8Ns and since I did not use it that much I figured I would keep it and use it on my B2650HSDC. First thing I had to do was switch the mounting pins from outside to inside, the B2650 3pt arms do not spread enough to use the pins outside. The next thing I noticed was that the control/positioning arm had to be removed because it hit the cab. Once I got those things done I had to learn to mount the auger, top mount had to be hooked up first then the side pins. Then it worked like a charm, put the PTO rpm at 520 rpms and drill away. I have used it on fence posts and trees and it works much better than when used on the 8Ns, 6" bit and keep the cutters sharp. My property has sand, clay and top soil with a few rocks.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
The OP wants to plant trees too, so a post pounder isn't ideal for that :D

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Anybody know what company this trademark represents? Old auger and the label is faded and this is the only clue I have to what it is.

Attachments

Captain Call

Equipment
L2501, box scraper, post hole auger
Apr 1, 2018
Middleton Idaho
Keeth, we just purchaced a 2501 and a Land Pride PD15. We have drilled about 20 holes with it thus far in sand/loam with some hard clay. So far it has worked well. We have built a fair amount of fence in the past (mostly Red Brand field). We usually used a Skid steer.

This is how we do it after carefull layout.
1) 12" auger, you don't want to have to enlarge hole by hand if you are off.
2) well built corner braces. (there is a good video on YouTube).
3) H braces every 100' to 150'. You cant stretch any more than that tight.
4) you can build a wire carrier to hang off your bucket. We used 2" pipe with big washers welded on the end and then 2 separate chains (so you can adjust for uneven terrain when unrolling.
5) you can build a stretcher out of two 2x4s and 4 3/8" carriage bolts. Drill the holes undersized in one of the boards (so the carriage bolts are tight and stay with it.) and oversized on the other board so it slips over it easily.
6) when you get to your brace and want to stretch run a chain over the bucket and hook one come a long on top and one on the bottom. This way you can even out the wire and keep it straight. If you have a box blade, extend the rippers and sink it in like an anchor.
7) stretch the shit out of it. Nail the shit out of it.

I will try and attach some photos tomorrow.
You can PM me if you like.
Good luck,
Bill

Keeth1123

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Dec 13, 2018
Sunshine state
Ordered an auger setup for the tractor aka Kody. I’ll post a review of it in a month or so. I enjoy the 2650 so far. Sometimes I just drive it around for fun :D

Keeth1123

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Dec 13, 2018
Sunshine state
Re: Auger for B2650 *Update*

UPDATE​

I purchased thee Dirty Hand Tools Model 90 post hole digger and a 36" bit that is 9" in diameter. I went with this setup because it was affordable for me. Initially, I looked at the model 100 digger but I read some reviews of people with my size tractor that said the model 100 wouldn't fit the three point hitch.

I chose to error with caution and go with the model 90. when installing the new implement, I found that the top link portion on the implement side was too wide (barely) to mount on the top link of the tractor. This apparently was the issue with people who were complaining about the model 100 not fitting. The fit was tight enough that I was able to drive the top link hole in with a couple of hammer shots. This side is mounted to the upper most hole out of the three on the top link.

I adjusted the boom mounts with the bottom hole or the closest hole to the tractor. If I am correct, this hole is the one that allows the auger to dig the furthest into the ground.

I tested the auger and was able to get about 2.5' deep. At this depth, the motor is close to the ground but it appears the bit could go at least another foot deeper. Nothing appears to be binding but the auger bit simply wont go any deeper. I have read the owners manual and it does not explain the mounting hole and simply says they are for adjustment. I tried moving the boom mount to different holes and received the same results.

I used the auger today to get two corner H braces completed. The auger itself does a fine job of digging and for my application the B2650 does not struggle digging the hole and achieves the dig from 250-400 PTO rpms. The problem today was the depth. One hole only wound up being about 1.5' feet deep. Kinda sad to have to hand dig a large portion of the hole while looking at a d**n power auger.

My thoughts are this.

1) the boom is simply too small for the B2650 which is why even lowered all the way down it does not seem to go deep enough.

2) something is binding somewhere on the three point and I just don't see it

3) The soil is too soft. Im not really sure on this one because I was actually surprised at how moist the soil was for my area. Additionally, the hole was able to be dug with post hole diggers. I would think if these diggers work, so would the power auger.

Any suggestions?

Keeth1123

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Dec 13, 2018
Sunshine state
I didn’t want to get harassed by people on here but I tried that as well. It helped a tad but it seems more like the bit is just spinning in the hole and not cutting.

What top link hole should be used. Manual says nothing. Some say top while others say bottom

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Can you remove the auger bit and see if the implement will go down to the ground? If not, then prop it up a few inches higher than it will lower on some 2x6 stacked up and remove the top link.

Carefully remove one 2x6 at a time and see if it will go to the ground just attached to the lower arms or if it is binding somewhere.

Watch the top connection point and see how it moves while you are lowering the implement. Perhaps that can show you what is binding it.

I am assuming you will be able to handle the weight of the drive head by hand but I really don’t know how much it weighs so do be careful and get help or use a hoist of some type.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk