B7100 Fuel pump leaking

tiger9297

Equipment
B7100HST-D w/ Bush Hog FEL
Jun 28, 2009
Tupelo, MS
I live in MS, but over the past few weeks we have had some really cold weather and quite a bit of snow for our area. My tractor has never had any kind of a leak, but when I was using it this past weekend, I noticed it dripping fuel. It's coming from around the fuel pump. I've checked the lines to make sure a hose wasn't cracked and I don't see anything like that. The tractor runs perfectly, so I wouldn't think the pump was bad, or even weak. I see that the pump is made in two sections, with a gasket in the middle. Could this be the problem?? I'm wondering if maybe there was some moisture in the pump that froze during all of the cold weather. Again, the tractor cranks and runs perfectly. I just hate any kind of a leak. Thoughts?

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
if it was my tractor, i would find exactaly where the leak was before
i started wrenching. wash the side of the tractor with a green soap solution,
blow it dry with a air hose, vacume cleaner on blow. then crank it over a few
turns without starting look for weeping. no leaks, turn it some more. start
and turn it of after a few seconds ect. in the long run, this would save u time and money and unnecesary expenses ,
my 2 cents
Louis

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
To see your leak better... Dry it really well by cleaning with carb or brake cleaner and compressed air. Sprinkle on a little talcum powder around the suspect area, you'l be able to see the leak right away.
My M4500 was leaking last month, only when running - new hose clamp on the outlet side of the booster pump. Hoses will take a "set" and even though the clamp appears ok and there are no cracks in the hose they can leak at the connection.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Talcum powder or "baby powder" is a great idea. I use it a lot to find leaks on automatic transmissions. You can shake it up and then quickly squeeze the bottle for a cloud of powder.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Actually, a similar method is used to find cracks in aluminum cyl. heads. Since they can't be magnafluxed like an iron head they are cleaned, dried, sprayed with a really thin oil with a dye in it, dried off on the surface good and then "powdered". The oil in the cracks shows up as a colored line in the dry powder. Works pretty slick. RC