B8200 brakes

shua57

Equipment
B8200
May 17, 2010
Brodhead, Ky
When I first got my B8200 a month ago, the tractor wouldn't roll by itself. It would move when I left off the clutch. I figured the thing set to long and the brakes were a little frozen. So I drove it a few hours and they let loose but now I don't have any brakes. I'm guessing the drums were rusty and ate the brakes but of corse brake pads for this thing isn't cheap. I also am not buying any till I take it apart. Right now is not a great time for me to take it apart so I'm gonna adjust them out. Is the proceedure basically loosen nuts on adjuster rod and turn rod? It looks rather typical, like brakes on a ATV or motorcycle. I haven't got a manual yet. I think it will give me about a half a pedal. Thanks

shua57

Equipment
B8200
May 17, 2010
Brodhead, Ky
OMG....just called the dealer. The pads run $175 a pair and requires 2 pairs. Must be gold plated. Geeeeze.
Josh

shua57

Equipment
B8200
May 17, 2010
Brodhead, Ky
Anyone know how to find the dimensions of the shoes? I've contacted several relining companies, one has asked for the dimensions. Would contacting Kubota be the thing to do?
Josh

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
shua57,

When I got my B8200 the brakes were very touchy and would lock up with thh slightest tap. The adjusting rods are very ypical and easy to adjust though you need to adjust each side seprately. The brakes are real easy to take out. 4 bolts if I can remember and a tension spring. Here are the shop manual pages for the B8200 brakes.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k20/phildac/B8200Brakes-1.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k20/phildac/B8200Brakes001-1.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k20/phildac/B8200Brakes002-1.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k20/phildac/B8200Brakes003-1.jpg

shua57

Equipment
B8200
May 17, 2010
Brodhead, Ky
thanks Phildac, I've been getting in touch with several brake relining companies. One priced me $18 a shoe to line and another was $22.50. Alot better than $350 for new ones. I also can get the material from McMaster Carr and do it myself more about $20. Might just do that.
Sweet, I've been looking for the thickness of the pads. It's in the info you sent me. Thanks again

shua57

Equipment
B8200
May 17, 2010
Brodhead, Ky
Handyman, contacted several reliners. Basically, prices were around $20 a shoe. Not bad but I found out what the problem was this past weekend. I started by trying to adjust the right side brakes and it made no difference. Then I started hitting the pedal and looked at the left side and the brake arm was not even moving. After a little more observation I realized that something was wrong in the drum. I figured the worst, like a seized drum or something broke. So after removing the bolts to the drakes housing, the hub came right out. After a little more looking I realized the brake arm was frozen to the housing. After some heat and alot of Blaster I finally got it to come out of the housing. A little emery and sand paper, I greased it and slide right back in and worked great. Reinstalled, made a few adjustments and brakes worked great. Still had about a 1/8th of an inch of pad on the left so I should be good for a little while, I only use the brakes when I have to. Next will be the right side when I get a chance. Forgot to measure the shoe thickness so I can order the material to do the relining in the future. But now I have some time and the tractor is back in service for a while.....loved mowing with it over the weekend.
Josh

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
:)Glad it was a easy fix and back in business. A lot of times when people let things set for a long time and go without any TLC that is what happens. Keep us informed. You will enjoy that beast for yeaars to come. handy

shua57

Equipment
B8200
May 17, 2010
Brodhead, Ky
Yeah, you can tell she had set for a while. When I first got it, it seemed sluggish and didn't want to take any pedal up my 2 to 1 sloped hill that i mow. Now it doesn't care. Lock it 4WD and let her eat.
Josh

Big boss

Equipment
B7100, woods 52" finish mower, 5' grader blade
Aug 22, 2010
Brookville,in
Can anyone tell me the name of a brake relining co. Or website? I have a b7100 that has about half pedal but will not stop at all. Can oil leak into the drum??