hay equipment

steve08

May 21, 2010
oregon
Does anyone on here run hay equipment with their boutas ?

If so what do you have and how does it perform ?
L4350

Mow with a Kuhn or JD Sickle mower

JD Crimper (Really.Really need a Tedder!)

CO-OP rake

Sitrex Row turner

NH 430 Baler

All work well, (most of the Time)

Mingy

Equipment
L3010 backhoe FEL, B2300, M9000
Jul 27, 2010
Ontario
I ran a 9' haybine mower and a round bailer with my L3010 HST. I was warned I would probably destroy my tractor and/or kill myself. It worked fine - though the machine was slowing down when I went up hills. Towing would be another issue - I didn't want to tow 10,000 lbs of hay with a light tractor.

The L3010 is not up to ploughing or discing. So I got the M9000. There is something to be said about being cool and dry in a nice cab.

Captjack

Jun 30, 2009
Centreville,Md
Well im going to try my hand at a small hay field this year - 12 acres or so. I have an old l235 with loader and filled rear tires/foam filled fronts. Its a heavy little tractor.

I have a jd 24T baler - 488 NH haybine and a 3pt rake. I am still looking for a tedder. I might have to borrow one for my first year until i can find a good used one.

Tractor bynet has several guys that put up hay with small tractors so I figured I would give it a try.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I cut with a Kuhn GMD 700 ( 9'+ cut) and bale with a Vermeer 504 baler. Use a M 9000 for this. My L 3000 DT is what we rake with. I have used a 3pt wheel rake, a roll a bar and finally this year found a V rake at a good price. Had to add rear hydraulics to the 3000 to pull the V rake but it does a great job. Since adding the remotes I tried a small disc behind it and to my surprise it pulled it fine. It's about 9 or 10' wide. Had to use 4wd but had plenty of power to get the job done.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I ran a 9' haybine mower and a round bailer with my L3010 HST. I was warned I would probably destroy my tractor and/or kill myself. It worked fine - though the machine was slowing down when I went up hills. Towing would be another issue - I didn't want to tow 10,000 lbs of hay with a light tractor.

The L3010 is not up to ploughing or discing. So I got the M9000. There is something to be said about being cool and dry in a nice cab.
Just curious what kind of round baler you were using behind your 3010? My baler would give my L3000 a heart attack. In good heavy hay it will pull the rpm's down on my 9000.

Mingy

Equipment
Jul 27, 2010
Ontario
Its a John Deere 545 (prior to the fancy electronics) and the only 'issue' is when I dump, the tractor wiggles a fair bit. I use the M9000 for hay now except for raking.

Are you sure your baler is working ok? I used mine for a season, then I decided to have a good look at the innards. One of the part that held the 'rake' or feeder up had busted, and it turned into a major job. I spent a couple weekends fixing up the 'rake' part - straighting sort of angle irons, etc., inside. It turns much easier now, even though the 3010 ran it fine. One project will be to replace the sprockets and chains, once I figure out how to pull of the sprockets.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Mingy, I really would have never thought about pulling a full size baler with a tractor that small. They are little work horses for sure.

My baler is working fine. It's rated for 75 pto hp min. When I said it pulled down my 9000 I guess I should have been more clear. It only does this when the rows get tall enough that the belly of the tractor is dragging them down flat. I bought the wife a new V-rake this year and in good hay it lays it out in a rowe that touches the inside of my front tires and is around 30" tall. If it wasn't for the hay saver wheels it wouldn't have even fit in the baler.

Mingy

Equipment
Jul 27, 2010
Ontario
I got the machine with *no* documentation but I had hay to bale. I use my M9000 now, because its a better match up. I don't think I'd try my square baler with the L3010: even the M9000 wiggles and jiggles.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The first round baler I bought was rated for 35 hp but it didn't bale a tight roll. They looked bad out in the field. When they first dumped out was pretty good. Go to the other end of the field and come back and they looked like a old hen sitting on a nest of eggs.

osut362

Equipment
M9000dtc, b7500hs
Mar 15, 2009
Lindale, Texas
i have two neighbors, one is west of me the other is south of me. both are full time ranchers and do custom hay bailing. west neighbor has an m9000, south neighbor has two m9000's. both are owners and operators of the equipment (south is father and son). NONE of the three tractors have gone over 2,000 hours without a clutch. look to replace your clutch between 1,500 and 2,000 hours. clutch and a/c are very weak on the m9000. i bought one a month after they did. of the four tractors, no a/c on any of them still work and my tractor only has 250 hours on it. Kubota dealer (two in the area) can't keep them working. i've spent all i'm going to on mine.....al

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My 9000 had almost 500hrs on it and so for so good on the clutch. Two problems with the A/C. The outside filter clogs so easy and it cost way to much. The other is that the condensor gets plugged up with weed seed and is hard to wash out due to where it's mounted. The biggest affect on the quality of the cool is the radiator itself though. The tractor won't be hot at all but the A/C suffers. Wash the rad. out and it's back to normal for a while.

A farm down the road from me has 3 9000's on it. The owner of these has gone away from his JD's and NH tractors for good. His get used for about everything you can think of around a farm and he has had nothing go wrong on any of his. One does nothing but pull a big feed mixer and runs about a hour each day. It's at least 10 yrs old and going strong.

kyfred

Equipment
M5030SU 4WD
Dec 20, 2010
Northern KY
With our M5030SU 4WD. We mow, with a Krone AM243 Easy Cut 7ft11in. cut disc mower, run a krone tedder, NH256 rake, load and haul rollbales. Use the tractor everyday in the winter to feed with also. Aso run a 8ft pull behind Bush Hog. Tractor has a Woods loader and a Sims cab with the button on sides for the winter time. Have a 7ft blade for the rear to scrape snow with. We roll hay with a different tractor. The kubota would run the M&W rollbaler though. Been satisfied with the tractor. No problems.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I feel for you if you even have a M&W baler no matter what you pull it with. Been there and done that. Learned my leason real quick and moved on as fast as I could.

kyfred

Equipment
M5030SU 4WD
Dec 20, 2010
Northern KY
Our 19 yr. old M&W rollbaler makes good 5ft.tall 4ft wide rolls. It has the plastic wrap option. We roll just about all our hay and wrap with plastic. The rolls are solid picture perfect rolls. With the plastic we store the rolls outside and the rolls are good to feed even the second year. We had several rolls left over from last year and the cows clean the hay up.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Mine would make a great looking roll and you're right in the previous post about the low HP needed to pull it. I couldn't afford to keep mine running. It broke something every time I baled. I always hoped for one of two things. It would break in the morning so I could try and get whatever was needed to fix it or break in the evening. At least then I might have had a good day till that point. It was just not good for business when whoever I was baling for was watching me work on the baler instead of watching the baler work.

steve l

Equipment
2 m9000,9540 all cabgmd700 kuhn 605m vermeer,r23a vermeer rake,468 jd baler,
Dec 29, 2010
bullard,texas 75757
two 9000 pull 605m vermeer roller with one,468 jd with the other.not many people using 5x 5.5 rolls any more here in east texas so the other 9000 with the vermeer,we pull either a r23a vermeer rake or 705 jd rake(same rake different color),also pull 700 kuhn mower on a lely caddy,with it.we use a 9540 to pull another 700 kuhn every day.rake with it sometime,and to pull 605 baler some.i dont know how some of these people do they say they are doing with these much smaller tractors,but then again never say never.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I know what you mean Steve. I'm sure your Vermeers are like mine and in good thick windrows the 9000's get a work out. A person might be able to pull one with a small tractor but I don't think they would ever get the full capability out of the baler. I use a GMD 700 as well and I wouldn't want to use it on a light weight tractor unless maybe it was all flat ground. I can remember back in the day we tried to pull our big disk with a 656 IH tractor. It would pull it thru the field but only at full throttle and always having to raise the disc in heavy soil. Our 806 IH would pull it at any speed you wanted to go as deep as it needed to be and at about 3/4 throttle. I guess my thoughts on this are just because a smaller tractor can do a job why work it guts out and most certainly shorten it's life span. High HP can be throttled down but low HP will have you in the back of the pack sucking dust.