1972 L200 tractor

tractorhound

Equipment
1972 L200 tractor
Feb 18, 2011
Anglemont, BC, Canada
I have an L200 with the Z1100 2cyl 25 HP engine with an aftermarket loader and back blade. this winter I put the blade on the bucket and added a 100LB weight to the 3point hitch for extra traction. I have had trouble starting inthe cold weather so had installed an inline rad heater and battery blankets on the battery and the fuel/hydraulic tank. The engine has always leaked some from the oil filter cover panel and the front of the engine where the speedo cable cover is...but it has started and run just fine except for what seems like a knocking in the engine when it was at lower RPM and a tapping which seemed to come from the hydraulic pump if I tried to lift too much weight in the bucket. it has about 2600 hours on the clock. all was fine until I started seeing some cinder type sparks coming out of the exhaust when plowing at night. then one night the engine just started slowing down and would almost stall if I was in any gear but the lowest. Would seem to start OK if I left it for a while. I replaced the fuel filter and bled the system but nothing improved. the first time it happened I also checked the oil level and it was very low. Now I have a substantial knock in what seems to be the upper engine area and it is hard to start. It seems to put out a lot of black smoke unless rpm's are high. there also seems to be some vapor coming from the blow by pipe on the side of the engine that I don't believe was there before. It did not overheat and the oil light never came on.

any ideas?

tractorhound

Equipment
1972 L200 tractor
Feb 18, 2011
Anglemont, BC, Canada
update...nothing that anyone mentioned worked, ti wasn't the muffler, or the air intake. I also took apart the oil delivery to make sure nothing was blocked. so I started at the tank and worked my way forward. drained the tank and vacumed out the last dregs to make sure nothing was blocking the fuel drain. then refilled and checked the fuel flow all the way to the injector pump. all OK...still the same problem. then took out the fuel pump and inspected it ..seemed OK, so went to the injectors...they were badly carboned up but once cleaned seem to be OK...nothing clogging the lines either. still did not have a runner though so took off the fuel return lines and checked it all the way to the tank. did seem to be blocked somewhat at the re-entry to the tank so cleaned that out. also checked the glow plugs to be sure they were not burned out..also OK. while I was there I checked the electrical line from the switch to the glow plugs...also OK. I had a tough time starting it but eventually bled the lines at the injector pump and got some air out then it started. I ran it for about a half an hour then shut it down. the next day tried it again and did get it started but lots of white smoke and it seemed to be stuck at a much higher RPM. so my take on it is that something is wrong with the linkage of the fuel pump, governor and fuel control device. I even installed a new oil pressure guage and have 70-80 PSI of oil pressure. just not sure what to do now? I posted another question yesterday about how to service / adjust the fuel control/governor/fuel pump linkage.

lazyluziana

Apr 19, 2011
new orleans, la usa
OK, new member here and the proud owner? of a L2000 and I pray you find the solution, Tractorhound. I hope my project stays simple, but we all know it's a toss up. This L2000 only has 562 hrs on the meter, but has been laid up(2yrs+). Thanks, Vic, for helping me ID it. I am now in search of all the shortcuts for finding filters and restart parts to prepare this "little diesel that can" to be resurrected. Prev owner was not very mechanical and/or in the know on this tractor. He thinks it was laid up due to a slipping clutch. I am also investigating those parts and would appreciate any help out there in this. Joe the LazyLuziana

Ok, having done all that, remove the injector pump and watch for any shims installed under the pump, take notes and pics if necessary, replace EXACTLY as removed.

The fuel delivery rack can be cleaned by soaking the pump in diesel fuel, scrubbing with a parts washer brush and very carefully tapping the delivery rack slider with a rawhide or brass hammer if needed to make it slide in it's slot.

If you undertake to dismantle the pump, do only what is necessary to free the rack up and make use of reference marks for alignment and tightening. This is critical when you do not have test/measure equipment for the pump.

Your job here should be to simply clean up the delivery rack and to ensure that the one moving part you see, can actually move it's full range of travel, effortlessly.

View attachment 3325