Clutch Safety Switch?

Erik Graham

Equipment
B2630, LA 403, RCK60-30B, L2550 GST
Nov 30, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Greetings All;

I have an L2550 GST that is occasionally very difficult to start. Like most tractors, the clutch must be depressed and the the steering column selector and GST gear lever must be in neutral to start the tractor. What happens often enough is that all of these conditions are met (battery is fine and all lights show go) and it won't start. I can move the steering column lever from neutral to forward or reverse a couple of times-sometimes with the clutch depressed, sometimes not, and it will start once I'm back in the neutral position. Sometimes this doesn't work and I will run the GST gear lever through the gears and back to to neutral. Sometimes this works and sometimes not. I recently replaced the ignition switch and checked connections on any wires I could see. I've been under the tractor several times and can't see anything obvious. When it wants to go the tractor starts easily and everything else electrical works fine.

My thought is that there must be a switch somewhere in the starting circuit that is at best intermittent but I for the life of me I can't see any sign of it.

Anyone else have this problem? Any insights greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Erik

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
My usual difficulty is I think the clutch is down but it only takes about 1/8 inch and it is no-go. So I let the clutch up and stomp hard on it. It could be just some dust and grease binding an actuator somewhere along the way.
But for sure the clutch has to be to the floor board. Just having the pedal in the in-step of my boot makes a difference; for starting I make sure to put the pedal under the ball of my foot.
Try that next time it gets snotty, it is easier than trying to find some of these switches wherever they hid them.

Erik Graham

Equipment
Nov 30, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Odd you should mention that. The last time I tried starting it I was so p****d off with it not starting I did mash the clutch pedal (in total frustration) to the floor and it did start! I had wondered about looking at making sure there wasn't any slop in the adjustment linkage as well. Will report back next weekend.

Cheers, Erik

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It's strange that Kubota does things different on some models. I don't have to mash the clutch in on my L or M series tractors to start them. They both have safety switches but neither one on the clutch.

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
Hi Erik,

I have an L2550, also, although it is not a GST. I had the same problem, and found that if I pressed the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, it worked fine. Since there was lots of free movement before the clutch engaged, I adjusted the clutch linkage to reduce the free play. Now the safety switch works fine, without pressing the pedal all the way to the floor. It's an easy fix.

Phil

Erik Graham

Equipment
Nov 30, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Thanks Phil, Will take the bag'o'wrenches with me up to the property next weekend. The GST transmission is pretty forgiving but I have noticed from time to time some hesitancy to move from forward to reverse (using the clutch). The fellow I bought it from had had a new clutch installed and it's had very few hours since that. I'm pretty sure now that an adjustment will do the trick. Here's hoping!

Cheers, Erik