Byron

Equipment
B2920 - mowing, snow blowing, front loader
Jun 7, 2010
NE PA
New to the forum, new to Kubota

background:
We just got a new B2920 - front loader, mowing deck

After using it twice (total of 4.5 hrs on it), it wouldn't crank at all -- zippo.

Made sure battery was fully charged, all the levers were in the right place, etc -- still nada

Dealer came over and got the same results after checking it over -- nada. He came back with a trailer, winched it on and took it back to the shop. After having it for a week there, still nothing -- the techs couldn't it get to do anything.

Saturday, they told us the factory suggested they replace the voltage regulator to fix the problem -- they did and say that the tractor is now cranking and starts???

They're going to run it some today and then bring it back if it seems OK.

My question:
What could the voltage regulator possibly have to do with the starter not cranking?? Does it make sense to any of you experienced Kubota tractor folks that that would be the problem/fix for the starter not cranking?

Admittedly I don't know tractors, but that would not be the fix if my truck or cars would not crank.

eddie

Oct 17, 2009
ottawa ontario
I bought a B2620 a while ago and after about 10 hours half of the lights and the fuel guage quit working. They came and took it away and found a very loose wiring connection within a few hours. It has worked fine since but only has 33 hours on it. I get the feeling that when they take them out of the boxes they come in and put them together if they run for a few minutes they are good to go. What i'm getting at is that probably every part including voltage regulators doesn't get the quality control screening that customers would like to see. It is hard to imagine a voltage regulator going bad after four and a half hours though.

eddie

Byron

Equipment
B2920 - mowing, snow blowing, front loader
Jun 7, 2010
NE PA
the dealer brought the tracor back this afternoon -- working fine.

it does appear that the voltage regulator was defective and that in current Kubota tractors all electronics feed off of the voltage regulator.

Even though the headlights, flashers, etc worked; the ignition system, etc feeds through the VR... learn something new every day :)

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Byron.... welcome to the world of microprocessors.... even in our orange tractors.

The only thing our tractors do not have to analyze problems is a computer analyzer port to troubleshoot our stuff. The VR would have popped up as bad for sure in that case....

Kubota... are you listening?

Butch

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The new M---X tractors DO have a diagnostic port that we can connect a laptop to. It gives us a LOT of information that the owner might not want divulged as well!
Ed

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
OMG... a black box in an orange tractor:eek: didn't know that for sure.

Guys... I would LOVE to hear what the data port can reveal such as what does the "box" monitor?

Can't wait to hear this one!:rolleyes: Butch

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Well it tells us lots of things like, if it's ever been overreved and how often,if it's been stalled and how often, if any component has been disconnected, the actual hr's on the unit regardless what the tach says, if any component has ever been changed, coolant temperature and ambient temp the last few times it was started, I'm sure there are a few more that I can't think of right now
Ed

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Damn... tractors are getting smarter than people (or at least me);) This is good and bad depending on how you look at it. Good so long as a weekend mechanic does noy habe to have a $10,000 computer analyzer to troubleshoot his orange "mistress".... as that is what my wife calls my tractor:eek:
Butch

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
You could still repair them the old way....... by replacing parts till it finally starts to work right! Right now you can't even buy the software to diagnose them, it is only available to dealers and it is password protected from kubota for each user. hardware interface also is only available from Kubota! Guess they don't want folks adjusting things they know little about!
Ed

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Double damn.... now that takes the fun out of tinkering...:eek:
Butch

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The new M---X tractors DO have a diagnostic port that we can connect a laptop to. It gives us a LOT of information that the owner might not want divulged as well!
Ed
Try this on for size. Cat equipment that has the GPS system on it is monitered from the satelite and every system on the machine can be tracked while it is running.

What do you think about a machine that is smart enough to order it's own parts, track their delivery date and scedule a mechanic to be there to install them. They wouldn't even let you go past the sceduled PM service hr. When the service came due it will send a message to the operator on the in cab display and they had 15 minutes to get to the shop and shut it down. If you ignored the alert the machine would sound a alarm, cut the engine to a idle, lock the parking break down, shift the transmission to neutral and then shut off and could only be started after a mechanic hooked the laptop to it and approved the start up.

Believe it or not the fleet at Hanson Aggregates located in Gainsville Ga. had this. This was a experimental program that Hanson and Cat worked on together. It was on every piece of equipment that was at this location from their skid steer all the way up to a 990 wheel loader.

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Souinds just like me. I usually bump into a lever getting off the tractor so when I mount up to start it I have to go a jiggle every lever on it to find the safety switch I tripped getting off:confused: