Bx Series - Inner tie rod replacement boots

Toneloc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2013 - BX25D
Apr 7, 2016
Northwest PA
Hi Guys:

I'm working on starting up a Youtube channel working on Kubota tractors and possibly some other content down the road.

I completed my first video last week and wanted to post it here.

My first video is on the inner tie rod boot replacement; an issue I see posted about here quite a bit.

Full disclaimer: I have sourced improved replacement boots and am trying to also start up an ebay store to sell a kit to replace.

I do have a few other videos in the works on other items that I will not be selling.

Hopefully forum rules allow the posting of this video.

If this is a problem, I apologize in advance and can pull down the video.

Thanks ahead, and I hope this video is helpful to some, regardless if you purchase any products from me...

Any constructive criticism / suggestions are welcome.

Ebay Link:

Link to OTT Ebay Discount $19.95 per set

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Re: Bx Series - Inner tied rod boot replacement

Good video, my brother just replaced mine with Kubota oots, may well go with these the next time.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA

I replaced mine using an old bicycle inner tube. I cut two pieces about 7" long and slipped them over the tie rod ends (after greasing the tie rods). It works great and is a very inexpensive fix.

Southernfarm

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Jun 8, 2016
Southern MB

ebay seller mpp2015 sells them on ebay. I purchased them from him, based on recommendation from Paul Short aka Wildfire here. Just an FYI. This was of course before I read on the bicycle tube mod. mpp2015 sent them to me in Canada, no problems. Invoice in the box. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Like the video you made. Just pointing out the competition.

Last edited:

Toneloc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2013 - BX25D
Apr 7, 2016
Northwest PA

I come from humble means, so I can definitely appreciate a low cost, diy solution.

There are probably a lot of Kubota users and environments where a bike innertube would work just fine. I think that's a great homebrew fix.

I am also a big Paul Short fan. He has amazing talent and good humor too. I have watched a lot of his videos.

I have an engineering background and really enjoy working on mechanical things. Cars, boats, archery, tractors, mowers etc.

My goal was to bring a solution for this problem to market that was inspired from the automotive industry.

Take a look under your car or truck and see what the inner tie rod boot looks like. It's a bellow / accordion style boot.

The boots I sell are made from Polyurethane material, which is the best material for this application. It will outlast rubber.

They are held in place by UV resistant, top quality, Made in the USA zip ties. Pulling the zip ties tight, will result in a sealed boot.

I can fully appreciate there is more than one way to solve this issue. The other boots you reference on ebay leave the large end open, to eliminate the boot from flexing, which will allow it to last a lot longer. As long as it is kept greased, I'm sure that solution will work well.

The solution I offer is a little different, and I think offers some advantages, but again I can appreciate both will work well.

Like I said in my original post, I was aiming to provide a helpful video and I hope to create some other helpful videos in the future.

Also, I'm new to this whole thing, so I haven't figured out what is involved to sell to Canada, or internationally, but hopefully will able to do so in the future.

Last edited:

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire

To be honest, I just replaced mine with the ones on ebay and I'm not impressed. I don't believe it offers much protection at all. I thought it would be a tighter fit but it's pretty loose on the ball end and that's a problem when it comes to dirt and moisture which because of the joints location is a constant issue.

I'm a buyer for a better designed boot for a fair price so open the store!

Toneloc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2013 - BX25D
Apr 7, 2016
Northwest PA

To be honest, I just replaced mine with the ones on ebay and I'm not impressed. I don't believe it offers much protection at all. I thought it would be a tighter fit but it's pretty loose on the ball end and that's a problem when it comes to dirt and moisture which because of the joints location is a constant issue.

I'm a buyer for a better designed boot for a fair price so open the store!
Here is the link to my ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kubota-BX-1...525181?hash=item58e6655efd:g:4GYAAOSw44BYD5wY

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri

Thanks for the link, I have 2 BXs and I'm sure I'll need some in the future.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon

Looks like a better design, made out of better material as far as I can tell. I am assuming, of course, that the fit is good as well. We purchased a new BX this Spring and now have 85 hours on it. No boot problems yet. However, I don't plan on replacing them with OEM due to the short service life that is widely reported. This looks like a 'better mouse trap' to me. For $25.00, I may just may order a set and sit on them until needed.

We also have a RTV1100, sure would like to find better CV joint boots for it. Hint, hint.... ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

I replaced mine using an old bicycle inner tube. I cut two pieces about 7" long and slipped them over the tie rod ends (after greasing the tie rods). It works great and is a very inexpensive fix.

I did the same thing, old inner tube, zip ties, and if'n they fall off - cut them off and replace! LOOKS like sh...... but works!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

I have seen is competitors "solution" and it's a joke!
Other "solutions" out there do not keep the boot sealed or dry.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Wholy cheese and crackers, give that tractor a bath!

I did the same thing, old inner tube, zip ties, and if'n they fall off - cut them off and replace! LOOKS like sh...... but works!

Toneloc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2013 - BX25D
Apr 7, 2016
Northwest PA
Re: Bx Series - Inner tied replacement boots

Thanks for the positive comments gents.

I've talked to N. Idaho Wolfman and I'm going to offer a discount to the forum members if you want to purchase direct from me on the forum (vs. the ebay listing).

It's going to be $20 with free shipping to the lower 48.

I ship USPS first class w/ tracking no.

If you get me your order by 12PM EST, I can typically ship same day.

Weekend, holiday, or orders after 12PM EST will ship next business day.

Payment will be by paypal only.

If you PM, I will send you my paypal info.

Thanks for the support.

Picture of what you will receive:

boot kit.jpg

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Wholy cheese and crackers, give that tractor a bath!
SHE was dirty, ran through a hellva lot of mud that day. Look better now - shoot that was a year ago - and I did have one of the zip ties slide off, and another 20 cent tie replace it.

NIW - I almost bought that one off of ebay - but I saw what you saw - it would not keep dirt and water out. My way aint the best either, but it is better than nuttin!:D:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

SHE was dirty, ran through a hellva lot of mud that day. Look better now - shoot that was a year ago - and I did have one of the zip ties slide off, and another 20 cent tie replace it.

NIW - I almost bought that one off of ebay - but I saw what you saw - it would not keep dirt and water out. My way aint the best either, but it is better than nuttin!:D:)
Well then get a set of these! ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
For anyone that has ever had an issue with the factory too soft, too thin, tie rod boots, get these!
I got a set for a friend and they are perfect!

Attachments

Southernfarm

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Jun 8, 2016
Southern MB
I to also like your design. Hmmm, I bought but haven't installed the other ebay boots yet. Anyone interested? I don't have time right now, nor the extra $, but in a couple of weeks maybe. Can you PM me with a quote for shipping to Canada, zip / postal code, R0A 0T0. Thanks.

Toneloc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2013 - BX25D
Apr 7, 2016
Northwest PA
Guys:

Wanted to offer the forum a Black Friday deal.

$15 dollars shipped to lower 48 for a set of these.

Apologize that I'm not up to speed yet with what it takes to sell to Canada.

This price good on orders through Monday 11/28.

Shoot me a PM with your ship to address and I will send you my PayPal information.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks,

Tony

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Tony,
Shipping to CA or AU is easy, set up a free account with USPS and all you need to do is input info and it will do all the work for you. ;)