Buying my first Kubota - education needed!

coryfavre

Feb 11, 2019
Lewistown, Missouri
Good afternoon everyone!

I will be buying a BX2380 very soon - with the following build:

54" MMM
LA344 Front Loader
R4 Tires

I will be using this mainly as my primary mower on almost 3 acres of mainly flat ground in Missouri. Also for driveway maintenance and snow removal of 2 driveways. Maybe transporting some fire wood as well

I can't get the 60" deck, won't be able to get around the wife's flower beds/yard decorations etc. So I went with the 54" and I don't need the drive over deck

I have a few questions if everyone doesn't mind.

I will be financing this through my dealer. Do I have to take the extended warranties he quoted me on the tractor and loader? I'd rather take that $1400 and buy another implement honestly. Maybe a rear blade? If I can take that $1400 and spend it on something else, what would you recommend? Quick hitch? Box scraper

Do I buy the Kubota bolt on cutting edge for the loader or is there an aftermarket edge that will be better?

Am I correct in assuming I want to add the 3rd function valve if I want to use the loader as a grapple to move sections of tree trunk? I don't actually know what the rear remote hydraulic valves are, would adding them now be beneficial in any way?

Finally lets talk about weights? I think I'd prefer to add weight as needed for snow removal etc and not fill the back tires. Is that correct? What would be my best bet to accomplish this? Wheel weights? Make a ballast box?

Thanks in advance and I hope I haven't been too annoying with all the questions

Cfrazer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2670-1,FEL, BX5450, BBox, GS1548, RB1560, QH05, AI2 Forks, SS Curtis Cab
Jan 22, 2018
North Rose, NY, USA
Good afternoon everyone!

54" MMM

LA344 Front Loader

R4 Tires

I will be using this mainly as my primary mower on almost 3 acres of mainly flat ground in Missouri. Also for driveway maintenance and snow removal of 2 driveways. Maybe transporting some fire wood as well

I can't get the 60" deck, won't be able to get around the wife's flower beds/yard decorations etc. So I went with the 54" and I don't need the drive over deck

I will be financing this through my dealer. Do I have to take the extended warranties he quoted me on the tractor and loader? I'd rather take that $1400 and buy another implement honestly. Maybe a rear blade? If I can take that $1400 and spend it on something else, what would you recommend? Quick hitch? Box scraper

Do I buy the Kubota bolt on cutting edge for the loader or is there an aftermarket edge that will be better?

Am I correct in assuming I want to add the 3rd function valve if I want to use the loader as a grapple to move sections of tree trunk? I don't actually know what the rear remote hydraulic valves are, would adding them now be beneficial in any way?

Finally lets talk about weights? I think I'd prefer to add weight as needed for snow removal etc and not fill the back tires. Is that correct? What would be my best bet to accomplish this? Wheel weights? Make a ballast box?

Congratulations and Welcome.

When I purchased my bx2670 with loader my dealer told me I had to have the ballast box or rear tires filled, I did both.

I didn’t take the Kubota insurance because my homeowners policy was accepted and I wasn’t leaving my property so Kubota insurance wasn’t needed. Having said that Kubota insurance covers every stupid thing that you could do to your new toy.

I originally just bought tractor loader ballast box and front snowblower. Now after almost 2 years I have a rear blade, carry all, and grader scraper for driveway maintenance, and a quick hitch. I also bought the piranha toothbar from bxpanded.com for my bucket and it hasn’t been off since installing it.

I don’t have rear remotes but am thinking about it as hydraulic top link could be beneficial.

As far as implements you may be able to get a better deal buying them as part of the tractor purchase than waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Congrats!

What kind of driveway (paved, stone etc)? I'd suggest a rear blade to handle plowing duties. You may find that you still need more rear ballast (than what a rear blade offers) when doing any FEL work. So, consider buying or making a some rear ballast.

Consider a set of SSQA pallet forks in lieu of a grapple if the use is only occasionally. You'll find many more uses for pallet forks and they can serve as a poor man's grapple in a pinch. Oh, that means you'd need to get the SSQA loader and forego the additional hydraulic function work.

Best of luck

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum Cory.

Good afternoon everyone!
54" MMM
LA344 Front Loader
R4 Tires

I can't get the 60" deck, won't be able to get around the wife's flower beds/yard decorations etc. So I went with the 54" and I don't need the drive over deck I have a few questions if everyone doesn't mind.
You never want to get something that is too big and the smaller cutting width will not make that much difference in time.

I will be financing this through my dealer. Do I have to take the extended warranties he quoted me on the tractor and loader? I'd rather take that $1400 and buy another implement honestly. Maybe a rear blade?
Are you sure that this is an Extended Warranty he quoted? Normally what you have to take when you finance your tractor is INSURANCE.

You do not have to take the extended warranty but you do have to take the insurance.

If I can take that $1400 and spend it on something else, what would you recommend? Quick hitch? Box scraper

There is a lot of people out there that states that it is better to add weights when needed than to fill the back tires.

Last edited:

coryfavre

Feb 11, 2019
Lewistown, Missouri
I can cover the tractor and implements on my home owners for $96 a year. Thats theft, damage, fire, roll over, etc. So I think I'll probably pass on the Kubota insurance.

The $1400 was for extended warranty on the tractor and loader. I'll pass on those I think. I'll have to go back and look but I think the Kubota insurance was about $25 a month.

Driveways are gravel. probably 500 feet in all

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I can cover the tractor and implements on my home owners for $96 a year. Thats theft, damage, fire, roll over, etc. So I think I'll probably pass on the Kubota insurance.

The $1400 was for extended warranty on the tractor and loader. I'll pass on those I think. I'll have to go back and look but I think the Kubota insurance was about $25 a month.

Driveways are gravel. probably 500 feet in all

I thought the typical warranty was 3 years....and somewhere I thought it was 4 or 5 on the drivetrain. I take it was about after 3 years?

When I bought new - the insurance for 5 years was $1000 - 200 a year on the five year note, which works to be about $16.67 a month.

propuckstopper

Equipment
GR2010, BX2380
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
Take this for what it is worth, but when I bought my new BX2380 last January I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the 54" mower. I have several trees in parts of my yard, and was pretty convinced the smaller mower would be easier to handle around these obstacles. However, after talking with the dealer, he mentioned that the 60" mower "sticks out" a little more on each side of the tractor, often making for an easier trim around obstacles.

Having said that, if you are trying to jam a 60" mower between two trees that are 48" apart, you are going to smash up the deck. But after looking at how the trees are laid out here, I decided to go with the 60" mower. I am glad I did. In my back field, where not a single tree exists, I can use the 60" to full advantage. What I am saying is I have not once said "jeez, I'm stuck here and I should have bought the smaller mower". I also bought the mulch kit for the 60" deck, so both my GR and BX have the same mulch setup. The GR is now steered by my son. It has a 48" deck.

I also got the FEL and a block heater at the same time. Since then, I have added a Piranha bar for summer dirt use, and I also went to a local plastic shop and had them cut me a piece of UHMW plastic to mount on the bucket for winter snow scraping. It works great to protect the driveway and even better to protect the bucket edge. And, from ropslights.com, I got the LED light kit for my roll bar. It costs more going this route, but it is a nice piece of kit. Working at night with those LED lights on is like working in daylight.

Finally, watch for loose nuts/bolts on these 2380s. My seat spring, throttle lock nut, and HST pedal actuator rod nut all have loosened and fallen off.

Last edited:

jonmad

Equipment
BX2380
Jun 7, 2018
Lebanon
Good afternoon everyone!

54" MMM
LA344 Front Loader
R4 Tires

I bought the same combination you are considering. I did add the wheel weights. Not a fan of filled tires. I plow my driveway up hill with a back blade no problem. No chains needed.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Good luck on your purchase. Do you expect to be doing a lot of loader work?
If so you should invest in a counter weight. That will give you what you need for additional weight.
Have you considered turf tires? If your primary purpose is mowing you may want to think about that. I understand that they are pretty good in snow as well. I have heard many comment that anything other than turf will tear up the grass.
Here in the Ozarks we really don't get any snow that lasts so that wasn't an issue for me. Turfs will also give you a softer ride and if your primary usage is mowing you may appreciate that.
Just know that if you choose turfs and want to switch they won't fit the rims used on the R4's....you would have to get a set of tires AND rims.

jonmad

Equipment
BX2380
Jun 7, 2018
Lebanon
I bought the same combination you are considering. I did add the wheel weights. Not a fan of filled tires. I plow my driveway up hill with a back blade no problem. No chains needed.
Sorry. I read the post above and realized that I have turf tires not R4's. My dealer told me not only are they better on grass but also in snow.

propuckstopper

Equipment
GR2010, BX2380
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
Sorry. I read the post above and realized that I have turf tires not R4's. My dealer told me not only are they better on grass but also in snow.
I have the turfs as well. Work great on the grass, and have good traction in the white stuff.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
That's a good idea - the R4's have the worst qualities of the R1 and turfs.