ISO B7400 farm tires

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you're looking for AG (R1) tires to improve traction on snow and Ice, you're going the wrong direction.
Ag (R1) tires provide less traction than Turfs (R3).
Industrial (R4) will do even less.

If you're looking for improvement in mud than, yes AG's are the best.

kwhites634

Equipment
2003 B7400
Dec 5, 2018
Walkersville, MD, USA
If you're looking for AG (R1) tires to improve traction on snow and Ice, you're going the wrong direction.

I know my Dixie Chopper ZT mower came through with turf tires & I traded them for ag tires the next day; turfs spin on some of my ground, where ags do just fine.

You're saying turf tires will go better in snow than ag tires? No rubber tire without chains is going to do much on ice, but why wouldn't cleated ag tires do better in snow than turf tires? I don't understand.

Primary reason for buying the tractor was to plow my 600' lane.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Remember, if you go to Ag tires you have to get different wheels also! Might try some chains, even rubber chains.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I know my Dixie Chopper ZT mower came through with turf tires & I traded them for ag tires the next day; turfs spin on some of my ground, where ags do just fine.

You're saying turf tires will go better in snow than ag tires? No rubber tire without chains is going to do much on ice, but why wouldn't cleated ag tires do better in snow than turf tires? I don't understand.

Primary reason for buying the tractor was to plow my 600' lane.

Think of the tread pattern found on passenger vehicle snow tires. Lots and lots of edges for traction.

kwhites634

Equipment
2003 B7400
Dec 5, 2018
Walkersville, MD, USA

I tried plowing about 4" of snow yesterday with these turf tire; pretty much an exercise in futility. I started thinking in terms of a set of chains, but I was all over the internet trying to find them...no such luck. For some dumb reason, I tried Tractor Supply; not a tractor tire to be had, let alone chains to fit one. Plenty of tires & chains for ATV's, garden tractors & motorcycles, but none for farm vehicles; TSC's become too cityfied, I guess.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes chains will help!
I am wondering if you have any weight on the tractor.
What are you using to plow?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes chains will help!
I am wondering if you have any weight on the tractor.
What are you using to plow?
All valid questions:

Kwhites - -

Are your back tires loaded or weighted?

What are you plowing with?

You will spend $1,000+ with wheels to switch to R1's. Then you will still need chains.....trust me on that one.

My 7,000lb 'Moline has chains in winter on loaded 12.4x38 R1's with big wheel weights. Has since 1955 when my grandfather bought it used. My Kubota BX2360 with snowblower would not do the job without chains.

Do yourself a favor and get a good set of 2-link ladder chains for your R3's. Since R'3's don't have treads that allow the chains to fall between the lugs, chains are more effective. Can get a set for rear tires at $200-300 +/-, but guessing...

Some guys/gals do backs only, other do front and back. There are concerns with chains on the fronts with a tractor running in 4WD on solid ground without any slippage...

You will have a different tractor. Again, trust me.

Last edited: