Battery Tender

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
EDIT: I've fixed the URLs to the products mentioned below.

This is the first winter for my B2650, and I***8217;m going to keep a battery tender plus connected to it since it won***8217;t be used as much as it would in the summer.

It***8217;s easier to back my tractor in to its place in the garage, so the back of the tractor is closest to the wall. I bought a Battery Tender Plus and 12 foot extension cable from battery tender. I want to use the terminal connections that came with the battery tender, then run the 12 foot extension to the rear of the tractor.

My question is, are there places on the tractor I need to stay away from when running the cable from front to back?

https://smile.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Maintain-Damaging/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1514742895&sr=1-4&keywords=battery+tender+plus

https://smile.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0148-12-Extension-Cable/dp/B002DU3TTO/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1514742975&sr=1-1&keywords=battery+tender+12.5+foot+extension+leads

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Links dont seem to be working on my end

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I just left the pigtail (battery tender JR.) run out between the hood and the frame instead of trying to wire all that stuff into the tractor. Just keep it simple.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Follow an existing wire harness from to rear that way you will avoid:
-very hot things
-things that rotate
-things that wire can bind
- and places that can trip humans

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I am assuming you are suggesting that the battery is in the rear of the tractor and you would like to trickle-charge from the front area of the tractor. In this case, There is NO NEED to run any wires from front of tractor to rear for the purpose of trickle-charging the battery.

First of all, you can assume that ANY solid ground point is fine for the MINUS of your trickle-charger. There is no need to run a wire all the way to the battery.

This leaves the POSITIVE connection you need to deal with.

Do you realize that the large wire which connects to the bendix (on the starter) is wired DIRECTLY to the battery? (no fuses either!!) For all practical purposes, this large wire coming into starter-relay can be considered the same as the battery-positive.

I have often found it more convenient to use this large wire on the starter as a connection for jump-starting or connecting a charger.

Hence - Your trickle-charging pigtail can be connected as follows in the engine bay:
MINUS - connect to any solid ground
PLUS - connect to large wire on the starter which is directly wired to the battery-plus anyway.

====EDIT===
It ocors to me that you may be saying that the battery-tender is near the REAR of the tractor... but the battery in in the front of the tractor. In such a case, I would snuggest you DO NOT install a permanent wire within the tractor for trickle-charging. (Just like Mr. DirtyDeed suggested)

For safety's sake, make CERTAIN that whatever wires you put inplace for the purpose of trickle-charging has a FUSE as close as practical to where it connects to the tractor. In this way, any shorts will safely blow the fuse. Since this is intended for TRICKLE charger, a 2Amp fuse would be plenty.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Allow me to point out one very important consideration with your tender ,,,,, Make sure it is UNPLUGGED BEFORE YOU DRIVE AWAY ,, no,,,,,, theres no reason to ask :eek:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Bruce, the operator's manuals for both the B2650 and the L3560 firmly state for slow charging to attach the plus of the tender to the positive pole of the battery, then attach the negative to the negative on the battery and not the frame. I can't tell if they say it that way for simplicity sake, or if it matters. The 2650 is the sib to the 3350 only without the dpf fllter and so the circuitry may be more complicated than expected.

I grew up with the plus to plus minus to engine block rule for jumping cars, and I can't see any reason why searching elsewhere for a good wire attachment point wouldn't be fine, but it might be harder to find on one of these newer tractors. ????

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
While I am thinking about it, do they make a connector that fits over the battery post? The ones that come with the tender are hopelessly too small. It works to use the clamps but it wouldn't take much to knock them off. Gotta be something better.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Bruce, the operator's manuals for both the B2650 and the L3560 firmly state for slow charging to attach the plus of the tender to the positive pole of the battery, then attach the negative to the negative on the battery and not the frame. I can't tell if they say it that way for simplicity sake, or if it matters. The 2650 is the sib to the 3350 only without the dpf fllter and so the circuitry may be more complicated than expected.

I grew up with the plus to plus minus to engine block rule for jumping cars, and I can't see any reason why searching elsewhere for a good wire attachment point wouldn't be fine, but it might be harder to find on one of these newer tractors. ????
Since ALL battery-chargers should be connected to the load BEFORE plugging in .... why does it matter the order of connection? I do agree it is BEST to connect directly to the battery.

The original poster did not specify about the "12 foot extension cable" .... is this an extension cord for the 120v charger - or for the 12volt line coming out of it? Most people hook the charger to the battery, then use extension cord to power the charger.

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
Wildfire had done a video that was for a BX model a while back with a battery tender. The part was simple to hook to battery with a fuse bit you had to drill a hole into the plastic then tighten bolt in place that had a cover to use with battery tender cable. Now with my setup i have the 50’ extension cable and a solar panel but still the trickle charger. Usually the charger comes as a kit with a battery tender and a bolt on cable to be a pig tail. If you want a picture of adapter just ask. I got it on amazon as well for $10.48 to bolt onto tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
Found one adapter as a SAE adapter.
mine was a bolt in type similar to this only it goes to battery directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
Since ALL battery-chargers should be connected to the load BEFORE plugging in .... why does it matter the order of connection? I do agree it is BEST to connect directly to the battery.

The original poster did not specify about the "12 foot extension cable" .... is this an extension cord for the 120v charger - or for the 12volt line coming out of it? Most people hook the charger to the battery, then use extension cord to power the charger.

The 12 foot extension cord is from Deltran, the maker of the Battery Tender Plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
Here’s my setup right now. I’ve just got the end of the terminal cable ran underneath the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
If you put the Positive ring on the starter stud with the battery cable you will not have the possibility of corrosion that you do when mounting on the battery end. Most all battery cables will carry the load of the tender.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I just installed a port on my BX25D on the left side of the instrument cowling.

https://tecmate.com/products/o-20/

The pigtail is 30cm (12") long and is plenty of wire when connected to their battery cable/fuse. You simply drill a 25mm (1") hole.

https://tecmate.com/products/o-1/

Be sure to coat all electrical connections with dielectric grease. Sorry my little guy is dirty... He is a working man!

Attachments

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
I ended up getting the shortest extension cable Battery Tender had and ran it from the battery at the front of the tractor to the back of the tractor to just under the right side flasher. I wire tied it off right there. East access to plug in.

I'm not brave enough yet to drill holes in my tractor. HA!!

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
I installed the plug in adapter next to the glow plug indicator on my B8200. There was already an empty 5/8" hole in this spot (wonder what was there), so it made it an easy install after opening it up to 1" for the adapter. Plus now it's in my face so i hopefully can't/won't forget to remove it before driving off.

Looks factory and helped clean up my dash just a little bit by filling the empty hole. I have to wait on a new 5ft cord to finish the install. The one that comes with the battery tender is only 18-20" long.

Attachments

Last edited: