Rural King / TYM Tractors

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Been catching tid bits about the line of Rural King sold, TYM built tractors. I see they are available from small (under 20 pto models to over 75 pto models.

Look interesting and are priced right.

Not that I want one but t appears the competition is getting crowded. No more JD and Kubota. Now everyone is getting a slice of the pie.

Opinions welcome. They look nice (on the outside) but then lots of stuff looks nice and functions poorly.:eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Rural King is selling RK Tractors, final assembly in the USA meaning put on tires, ROPS. They are built in South Korea by Tong Yang Moolsan (TYM), which is one of the main Korean builders. TYM also owns Kukje which builds Branson. TYM was originally based on Iseki designs (builders of Bolens, Massey Ferguson, White, AGCO & Challenger compacts). WHile they say they offer service and parts, I think I can find a big "K" dealer easier than a TYM dealer. Parts,,,,, well thats something else

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
A guy from my sportsman's club bought one of them as a Cabela's brand when they were closing them out. He's put quite a few hours on it running a batwing shredder and he likes it. Hasn't really put enough hours on it for a real evaluation though.

They look like quality tractors to me, but I'd be concerned about dealer support. We only have one Tym dealer in MN. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't expect much support from Rural King once they're more than a few years old. The Cabela's models that I looked at had engines from Iseki, Mitsubishi, and Perkins. I wouldn't worry about the quality of any of them, but it makes it a lot harder for them to support their customer over the long haul when you have 3 engine vendors, God knows how many transmission vendors, etc.

Might be OK if you were going to put a ton of hours on and trade every few years, but I'd stick to Kubota, JD, maybe New Holland.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
There have been threads on this brand and others in the past. Generated minimal interest.

OTT, however is a site dedicated to kubota, and members here remain focused upon the kubota brand.

Certainly it is a better off topic subject than the steel tariff debacle.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If you go back 40 years or so, Kubota was in exactly the same boat. Breaking into the domestic market with a sprinkling of dealers and questionable parts availability. I know when I purchased my first Kubota (B7100) there was exactly one dealer within 100 miles and parts were all on an as ordered basis (including consumables like filters).

Kubota is now an established brand with a dealer network and parts availability but it wasn't always that way. I had the first and only orange tractor in this area and it was more of a curiosity thing than something useful because it was tiny compared to the green and red counterparts. In fact, it's still that way to a great extent.

The Japanese are good at emulating a proven model and they emulated JD's dominance in the domestic market with great success. I can see that happening with other brands like TYM.

As the marketplace gets saturated, will be interesting to see who survives and who don't.

Dealer wise, JD and CNH still dominate the market here and always will. Kubota may, at some point in the future offer the diverse range that JD and CNH offer but not in my lifetime, or at least I don't see that happening.

I may run orange prime movers but all my powered implements are either green or red.

majorwager

Equipment
The fact is that folks on OTT are NOT really concerned about conditions from 40 years ago.

Further, Deere and CNH do NOT dominate the sub 100 hp market, they abandoned that market years ago to focus on large Agriculture.

Reading the focused interests of OTT members, it is overwhelmingly the sub-compact through compact market that dominates the everyday discussion. There are some light utility class members as well ,but generally, the Ag producers gravitate toward sites that focus on Agriculture.

Again, OTT has maintained their concerted focus on the operating and service issues related to the kubota brand.

Other sites exist that cater to alternate brands .

Yankee fans do NOT hang out in the RED SOX Clubhouse. Try to absorb that message.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario

Yankee fans do NOT hang out in the RED SOX Clubhouse. Try to absorb that message.
I guess I'm not welcome since sometimes I make reference in my posts to my Massey background and certain elements of me fleet that aren't orange... :D

In all honesty, an open discussion regarding competing brands is often a terrific way for newcomers to get an idea of how the Kubota brand is differentiated from others in the marketplace. Just the mention of the TYM units having engines from three different suppliers was enough to give me the heebie-jeebies, despite my love for the Perkins engines in my M-F machines.

To stick with your analogy, there are no doubt quiet conversations between players to find out what it's like in the other team's dugout, because sooner or later, a player may have to make a trade and it's best to do so from a position of knowledge. Knowing the grass on the other side of the fence often makes the grass at home look much greener. OK, much more orange!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The fact is that folks on OTT are NOT really concerned about conditions from 40 years ago.

Further, Deere and CNH do NOT dominate the sub 100 hp market, they abandoned that market years ago to focus on large Agriculture.

Reading the focused interests of OTT members, it is overwhelmingly the sub-compact through compact market that dominates the everyday discussion. There are some light utility class members as well ,but generally, the Ag producers gravitate toward sites that focus on Agriculture.

Again, OTT has maintained their concerted focus on the operating and service issues related to the kubota brand.

Speak for yourself, not me. I have no issue discussing other brands, which has happened as long as I've been a member here. The day that OTT becomes a snob-fest, only discussing Kubota tractors, I'm gone.

majorwager

Equipment
Hodge,

To your point, in reading the daily posts, it seems that folks visit OTT to advance their knowledge and familiarity with kubota ptoducts.

It does not exclude references to other brands that are relative to a thread discussion concerning kubota. I mention other brands owned when it is Germaine to the thread. That is different than starting a thread totally unrelated and in competition with kubota. What would be the purpose?

If someone wishes to visit a Chevy showroom to learn more about Ford products, then they may certainly do so.

Is it reasonable to expect a devoted kubota website, to focus on kubota related products. ??

Would someone expect to learn accurate hands on experience with a brand other than kubota, on OTT.??

All opinions are not homogenized. We need not all be in agreement to co-exist, but brand loyalty does exist on dedicated websites.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
OTT is NOT a Kubota only group, yea we lean heavily to the Kubota side of things but all are welcome.
I'm more than happy to help anyone out with an issue with any make or model, it's just a matter of finding the right info.

Now on with the subject of TYM and RK tractors.
It's not a matter of bad parts or bad quality, as most parts are the same parts as other brands out there.
Kubota does the same thing as I have a Bobcat with a Kubota engine in it.

Now here lies the problem, lack of consistency or documentation, and the lack of replacement parts.

They produce a line and then either change that line or drop it and move on thus creating a break in parts that they use.
I personally know of 3 tractors owners that have those tractors that the tractor is DOA because of a lack of replacement parts availability.
One owner went as far as to buy an entire other tractor for spare parts to fix and maintain his, only to discover that almost nothing will swap from one to the other, it's the same make, model but completely different designs.
They have different motors, different transmissions, different steering, and sadly both will different issues that are both feasibly / financially unrepairable.

Kubota has supported older models for almost 40 years, and they are starting to run out of parts for older models and it does not look like they will start making them again.
It's sad, but it's a smart business decision as spare parts are expensive to make and stock.

EPA regulations have also forced their hand on what they are allowed to support.

Last edited:

majorwager

Equipment
Hodge,

To your point, in reading the daily posts, it seems that folks visit OTT to advance their knowledge and familiarity with kubota ptoducts.

It does not exclude references to other brands that are relative to a thread discussion concerning kubota. I mention other brands owned when it is Germaine to the thread. That is different than starting a thread totally unrelated to kubota. What would be the purpose?

If someone wishes to visit a Chevy showroom to learn more about Ford products, then they may certainly do so.

Is it reasonable to expect a devoted kubota website, to focus on kubota related products. ??

Would someone expect to learn accurate hands on experience with a brand other than kubota, on OTT.??

All opinions are not homogenized. We need not all be in agreement to co-exist.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Hodge,

It does not exclude references to other brands that are relative to a thread discussion concerning kubota. I mention other brands owned when it is Germaine to the thread. That is different than starting a thread totally unrelated to kubota. What would be the purpose?

All opinions are not homogenized. We need not all be in agreement to co-exist.
So using that logic,what do the other Off Topic subjects like guns, septics, roofs and so on have to do Kubota tractors. Granted, this forum is mostly about Kubota products, this is a Off Topic section which is usually interpreted as a section to discuss other things.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Man I have heard the same argument on a couple Harley forums that no longer exist. Ya wana talk tractors theres places for that in here, ya wana jaw about septic tank or widgets theres a place or that too, if you are not interested then dont read them,,,,,, simple

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
I've asked some questions in the off topic category because I see a lot of experience in a wide variety of subjects from people here. There are a lot of hands on people that have been there and done that here. So its a good place for questions, and thank you to all that have responded in the past.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Major, Flip made a thread in "OFF TOPIC" forum. That's for just about any topic as long as it's in good taste and family friendly. You have a burr under your saddle for Flip and it's verbalized on this forum frequently. If he offends you so much why not block his post, just leave it alone. Your agitation is expressed too frequently and contributes nothing positive.

The YKM, RK and other tractor manufactures with smaller market shares will always be around trying to grow. The more stable and growing the leaders are, the harder it is to move up. It's like VHS and Betamax. Some are still around, some not!

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Unless they were selling the Rural King / TYM Tractors for pennies on the dollar I wouldn't buy one I'd stick the JD - NH - or Kubota.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Certainly didn't intend to agitate anyone, just commenting on the Rural King Tractors because I saw an ad and they look nice.

On Massey and Perkins, I had a Massey row crop 2 wheel drive with torque multiplier and a Turbocharged Perkins and it was a tank but it ran just as good for the guy I sold it to as it did for me. Bulletproof tractor and motor. Not a Kubota though. Size wise, about 10" taller than my M's are and a couple thousand pounds heavier too.

Interestingly, we just had a Branson dealer open up in town this month. he has a pile of Bransons parked in his lot, little to big. Nice looking units. I may have to swing in with one of mine (I run a field on the other side of town and drive right by with hay tools in the summer.) and compare my M's to his Bransons.

I thought Branson was a resort town in Missouri.... lol

Not in the market for a new tractor of any make. If the 90 horse JD I've been looking at comes up at auction, I'll bid on it but new, don't think so. Not going to go into that much capital debt again even if it is a write off..

If I was 20 years younger, maybe. My time in the seat is getting shorter by the year.

Furthermore, I realize that Kubota got into the hay tool market as of late but when I starting haying for profit, there were no Kubota Hay tools and I run what is proven in the field which s New Holland. I'm not much into color when it's out back. I even have a JD mower conditioner, Miller Pro rake and Kuhn Tedder. I run what s proven in the field and works without issue. Far as Kubota hay tools go, Kubota bought an existing implement manufacturer and rebranded their hay tools with the Kubota name. Just like Great Plains / Landpride. Corporate acquisitions.

JD does the same thing. JD Hay tools are repainted Kuhn for the most part. Pioneer (which is a sub brand of JD is also Kuhn).

Last summer, the local CNH dealer asked me if I wanted to demo a NH tractor. I declined. Never cared for late model NH tractors. Hay tools are a different story.

Last edited:

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
It is always good to hear about other brands and what they are doing.

This is "Off Topic" section and I would think talking about other brands of tractors would fit the subject.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I have two friends that have both bought new TYM Tractor’s. One with loader, backhoe setup and a 3 point generator set up, the other tractor has just a loader. As they both want to add attachments and tools for their tractors, this is where the issues begin. After seeing my front snowblower ( on my Kubota) they both wanted a front blower. We cannot find anything made for or adaptable to the TYM. I LOVE the availability of implements for my Kubota, and have and use them all the time.
Both of my friends quoted the same reasons for buying a TYM over a Kubota or JD. “ you get a bigger tractor, for the same price” granted they both have larger bodied tractors. I actually picked the BX because I have such a heavily treed piece of property, and I needed a SCUT. I am still amazed as to what this little K can do on s daily basis. When one friend damaged a fixed hard hydraulic line a couple years ago, ( lines are mounted in a bad under body location and not shielded at all) he took it off and went to the dealer to get a replacement. NOT Available! They wanted his hose to send to Korea so they could make a replacement......... that’s not gonna happen. We had a local Caterpillar company make a replacement hose that worked. He was back in business the next day.
Lack of parts and accessories is the biggest reason for me to stay happy with my original Kubota purchase. If I need ANY part, from hose, to nut or bolt or fitting, I can order it on line or call one of the local dealers and the part will be delivered in short order.
Looking at other tractor models, is what led me to buy a Kubota. To me, ( and that is the key. It’s the one I liked the best, for my needs) the Kubota was the winner hands down. I am still happy with my original decision. Do your homework, and pick what works best for you.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm in total agreement with Kubota reliability in as much as I have two large frame AG Kubota's and I run them both hard and in the 10+ years I've owned them, other than one issue with the M9 that was under warranty and dealt with promptly and efficiently, I have had ZERO problems.

I know that with proper maintenance, I can go out to the barn and either will fire right up and handle any task I need handled.

Getting old (so am I for that matter) and may not have all the fancy dan bells and whistles that new units have but for me, they are just fine.