Kubota UDT substitute

Guy JR

Oct 19, 2010
Gadshill Ontario Canada
Is there any other hydraulic oil that I could use in my transmission other than Kubota UDT. My local tractor supply store carries Valvoline unitrac tractor hydraulic oil-3098 as well as Valvoline anti-wear hydraulic oil-3015. Would either of these be a sutible substitute? Tractor in question is a L1801DT. Thanks.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Service Dept Vic has mentioned in the past that you can go to Wal-mart and buy thier brand of UDT and use it just fine. So if you have a great price on something like Valvoline you surely can use that as well. They make some top of the line fluids!

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
A good quality oil will do. Usually they will say on the back whether it is UDT compatible. Kubota does not make oil. It would be interesting to find out who makes their oil. But I'd be happy putting Valvoline (UDT equivalent) in my tractor.

Babyfat

Jun 24, 2010
Grass Lake, MI
www.dakins.com
It would probably be fine in a DT but I would not use anything but Kubota UDT or Super UDT in a HST, every HST trans we have repair/changed had "Tractor Supply" oil in them, Kubota service advised that they have like 8 additives in their oil that the others do not. The old saying "pay me now or pay me later"

Reactions: 2 users

steve l

Equipment
2 m9000,9540 all cabgmd700 kuhn 605m vermeer,r23a vermeer rake,468 jd baler,
Dec 29, 2010
bullard,texas 75757
A good quality oil will do. Usually they will say on the back whether it is UDT compatible. Kubota does not make oil. It would be interesting to find out who makes their oil. But I'd be happy putting Valvoline (UDT equivalent) in my tractor.
according to what i read valvoline makes the oil for kubota tsc atwoods and your local parts store brand name.

ifpz216

Equipment
MX5100 HST
Jun 25, 2015
St john colony, TX
Valvoline VV813

http://www.valvoline.com/products/c...products/transmission-fluids-and-gear-oils/84

Meets or exceeds the following specifications(Where appropriate viscosity grade applies.

John Deere JDM J20C,
New Holland Group(Ford New Holland) ***8211; FNHA-2-C-201.00(134D), FNHA-2-C-200.00(Hydraulic Oil 134)
Massey Ferguson M1129A, M1135, M1139, M1141(Permatran®III), M1143, M1145,
Case Corporation(Case I.H., J.I. Case) ***8211; MS-1207(Hy-Tran® Plus), MS-1210/JIC-143,144,145(TCH Fluid), MS-1209(Hy-Tran
Ultra)
Kubota UDT Hydraulic Fluid, Universal Transdraulic Fluid

Last edited:

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
Service Dept Vic has mentioned in the past that you can go to Wal-mart and buy thier brand of UDT and use it just fine. So if you have a great price on something like Valvoline you surely can use that as well. They make some top of the line fluids!
Yep... I've used it to top off my tractor when I put on some new hydro equipment, because of his recommendation. I think it was $20 for the 2.5 gal jug.

BUT... I think you can get the traveler brand at the tractor stores cheaper.

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
It would probably be fine in a DT but I would not use anything but Kubota UDT or Super UDT in a HST, every HST trans we have repair/changed had "Tractor Supply" oil in them, Kubota service advised that they have like 8 additives in their oil that the others do not. The old saying "pay me now or pay me later"
Yes - this is my continuing question - I get it that there are several options on UDT fluid that are probably just fine, but what is the final word on Super UDT? Also good options out there?

Specifically for me, a 1980 B7100 HST - what are my options for the universal reservoir? A good UDT? Must user Super UDT? The Kubota dealer (as expected) says only Kubota Super UDT.

sagonate

Equipment
L4060
May 20, 2016
Tiverton, RI, USA
I've spoken with a representative of Kubota at their main U.S. number and he confirmed that Kubota UDT2 oil is made for Kubota by Valvoline. Where do you, however, buy that product?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I've spoken with a representative of Kubota at their main U.S. number and he confirmed that Kubota UDT2 oil is made for Kubota by Valvoline. Where do you, however, buy that product?
News to me; and I work closely with Kubota. It may be MADE by Valvoline, but that doesn't mean that the valvoline that you buy at TSC or wherever else is the same stuff.

I have a M9540HDC in the shop right now. The owner complains that when the tractor is cold, it will not move. Put it in either forward or reverse, let the clutch out, and the tractor sits still for about 5 minutes. Then it grabs and starts working 'normally'; and grabs pretty harshly. I have verified this and it does exactly what he says. So I am looking into it. WIX hydraulic filters. WIX engine oil filter. Wix fuel filter. Tells me that it's probably got some universal tractor fluid in it. I loosened one of the wix hydraulic filters, and the stuff came out like honey. It was about 65 degrees F oil temp at the time; so it should have flowed just fine. Called customer and asked him what oil is in it. Yep. TSC oil that says "compatible with Kubota UDT". Gave him estimate to drain and refill (about $375) with super UDT; with no guarantee that the shuttle clutch will work after the fluid change. The other option, split tractor and inspect the shuttle clutch. $1500 minimum, give or take, + any repair parts, sealants, etc. He says try the SUDT2. Drained the oil, which by the way took about 3 hours because the stuff would NOT drain very fast. Replaced filters and then refilled with SUDT2. Fired it up, lifted the shop door and drove right on out with zero problem, works normally. I'll try it again in the morning after it's sat all night but I don't foresee any issues.

About 3 years ago I had a guy ask me about UDT and why it's so expensive. Because it's good stuff, and that is no lie. He didn't believe me and went out & bought some stuff from Oreilly's, changed his fluid and filters and went on about his business. L3010HST. Last year he calls me and asks why his hydraulic system is kind of weak and why his HST oil is leaking from the bellhousing. I have seen the bellhousing leak before, and did not have a cut-and-dried solution, so I called an engineer I know that works in Georgia (for a tractor manufacturer). He asked what kind of oil-and went on to say that the oil quality depending on what is in it, can cause the little rubber lined collars to slip down the propeller shaft, causing oil to leak into the bellhousing. I advised the owner what I was told. I'm not an engineer...so I can't say for certain that's what did it. He agrees to let us repair it at $2000 (including new clutch) and we refilled it with SUDT2. Guy calls the day after he gets home and wanted to know how we made the transmission work so much better, he says there's no more waiting for it to build pressure, no noise, the loader works 10x better, 3 point works immediately after starting the engine. All I did was put a clutch in and replace the propeller shaft, and refilled the trans with SUDT2.

All of the BX's I've worked around, they can get a little noisy, but owners tell me that SUDT2 quiets the noise considerably; and the tractor works smoother.

Need more examples? I've got a few decades under my belt working with these things and I can give you a bunch of examples. Heck we used to fill the J.D. 4000 series E-HST transmissions with SUDT as JD was having some problems with low-vis Hy-Gard there for a while. Amazing how much quieter they ran with SUDT2 in them.

I have a T1560, bought it with transmission problem. Pulled trans, replaced broken shaft, refilled with SUDT2. Works a LOT smoother, and quieter, and actually has more pulling power. With the recommended 20w50 (from hydrogear's recommendation), it's really noisy and real sluggish when cold. Both of those "normal" characteristics are now solved with SUDT2.

Massey Ferguson 1145 tractor (mine). Drained fluid, replaced filters, and refilled with SUDT2. Shifts better, PTO clutch works a lot smoother, etc...way better than permatran III that came out.

Reactions: 4 users

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
For the money you can't beat Super UDT2. 100% synthetic and great stuff. Amsoil does make an equivalent but if you not a dealer or preferred customer it is more expensive but you get their warranty of failure. If you can prove the oil caused the failure they say they will fix it. YMMV.

Semper Fi

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
For the money these machines are worth, I dont mind spending a few hundred to swap all the filters with OEM, and UDT2. It just makes sense.

My GMC is a VortecMax, it needs minimum 89 octane. Mess up once and fill with 87 and you know it!