Hydraulic Fluid question

monomial

Equipment
loader & hoe
Sep 18, 2012
Scotts Valley,CA
I'm a new tractor owner (Kubota L2350) and need to add hydraulic fluid. My tranny and attachments all use the same fluid with the filler on the tranny.

Q. Is there a special fluid for use with transmissions or will standard fluid work?

Thanks.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Kubota recommends UDT, SUDT, SUDTII, but I would try to find out what is in your tractor as you don't want to mix fluids.

I have used New Holland, Kubota, Case etc. as long as it meets the specs.

monomial

Equipment
loader & hoe
Sep 18, 2012
Scotts Valley,CA
So, if I can't determine what fluid I now have, I should drain the entire system and replace rather than mix? Sounds like a lot of trouble; mixing a UDT fluid is that bad huh? Well, the tractor is stuck in my driveway and can't move as the backhoe and out riggers are on the ground. Guess I'll mix long enough to move it and drain the system later.

Thanks guys.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Don't spend the extra money on Kubotas, Case, or New Hollands UDT when you can find an ideal equivalent at any of the auto parts stores or even Wal-mart. Its not like any of the equipment dealers have they own oil refinery to bottle their own oils. Even Service Dept Vic has mentioned in the past that he uses Wal-marts UDT in his own tractor. Just check to make sure it has the equivalent properties in it. There is a TON of members on here who use after market lubes. Myself included.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't know why you can't mix fluid as long as it's the correct type. When you drain the system and install a different brand you have only changed the fluid that is in the reservoir, not the entire hyd system. I know the hyd fluid I use is compatible with conventional trans/hyd fluid.

There is a huge difference in the quality of different oils. Cheap oil is cheap for a reason, it doesn't have the same quality or performance as some other brands do. Not saying the cheap oil won't work because it will. It kind of like a real coke or a store brand soda. Looks the same, goes down the same but just doesn't taste the same. If price is #1 then you go with the cheap stuff. If you want a better product you pay more money. I don't plan on selling my tractors and have no desire to replace them so a higher level of protection is justifiable.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I guess it's a "can you/should you" mix fluids. I have, but prefer not to and might do something to my own tractors I wouldn't recommend someone else to do.

If you don't know what is in your system, you don't know if it's synthetic or dino, I really, really don't like to mix these; no, your tractor won't explode if you do and yes there is always residual fluid in the system.

If my UDT filled Kubota needed some fluid and all I had was Ambra or equivalent and I needed to add a bit to get some work done, I would do it and wouldn't feel the need to replace eleven gallons of fluid, but if I had time, I would get UDT, I have mixed fluid in one of my tractors now; been that way for a year and will be until the next scheduled change.

If I had synthetic in it, I would go get synthetic.

I am not a mechanic, so keep that in mind.

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Older Kubotas had UDT until SUDT was recently developed. The two types are compatible and can be mixed. Dump some SUDT in and you are good.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Depends also on type transmission to some degree.

On my older gear and shuttle shift Kubotas I use Chevron THF-1000 equal to K-UDT.

On hydrostatic drive units I use K-SuperUDT (SUDT). Per threads on this website tends to make a difference on hydrostats although I haven't experimented on these units.

No occasion yet to use latest (nomenclature correct?) SUDT-II.

Another poster here had it right: quality costs. You're paying for the additives package added by the lube plant packager to meet a set of marketing or OEM specs. There are literally hundreds if not thousands (depending how counted) of commercially available "admixture packages" on the market for and used by large brands/packagers. The base stock oil is virtually all the same in mineral (not synthetic) oil types. You or I could buy any non-proprietary blended lubeoil additives mix pkg by signing a contract, paying cash, and taking delivery of a railcar full at our convenience.

MoGas the same: when a fuel is advertised as "special" for fuel injectors, by brand or model, high octane, cleanliness, whatever is being sold...the tanker trucks all come out of the same regional refineries and are "dosed" when filled. Dosed nowadays by the loading rack operator calling up that account, matching ID numbers, pushing a button. Somewhere on the rack there is an array of injectors pumping a metered amount of "additive" from a bulk tank into the stream being sent to the truck.

Here's my current favorite: "nitrogen enhanced" gasoline to clean your valves. Let's see, nitrogen is basically inert--except it tends to form under certain conditions smog precursors in and as a matrix of nitrogen dioxides. So nitrogen that does not 'burn' during the combustion process passes right through the engine and contributes to smog production. I love salesmanship.

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
You say you are a new owner and I assume you own a used tractor?

The best investment you could make would be an operators manual for this tractor. All of the basic service requirements are contained in this manual and frankly, if your tractor is so low on Hydraulic fluid, you are probably looking at a tractor that has not been serviced properly.

Were it mine, I'd first check for leaks and then after correcting any found, do a complete fluid and filter change including crankcase, cooling system, air intake and hydraulic system. Goosing the hydraulic system with any fluid necessary to move it to a proper service location won't hurt anything.

Your tractor will love you for the attention!

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Max,

What it comes down to, it is your "new" tractor, so it is your choice!

Now here is the thing, is it "Brand New" from the dealer or a used "new" to you tractor?

If it is used and just "New" to you then you have NO clue what has already been used in it, if it is "New" from the dealer then check with them to make sure.

Now having said all that, when it comes to my own cars, trucks, tractors and other equipment, I use whatever I can find or have on hand when I need it, I have "NEVER" followed the Manufactures recommendation when it comes to fluids and filters, I buy the brands I trust, and in the 40 years I have been buying my own cars and such I have never had one blow up or shoot craps on me because I used something other than what is recommended.

I buy 5 gallon buckets of Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission fluid from my local farm supply store for use in all my equipment, it has always served me well.

Best Regards

Paul

Last edited:

max

Equipment
l2350
Jan 19, 2011
North East
Hi Paul ,
I was just passing on the information I had since I have the original service manual. I do the same as you and pick the fluids I think will work best for me. I have personally been using standard tractor hydraulic fluid Tractor Supply sells which I believe says UDT compatible. It's been working fine for me. I just keep topping up every time I blow a hydraulic hose. Max