B7100 Clutch pedal play and travel

Dennis

Jul 28, 2010
Queensland Australia
just put a new clutch and throw out bearing in and I am now adjusting the clutch pedal rod, travel nut and safety switch nut.

Am I correct in my understanding that :

The" play" is the movement in the pedal (and throw out bearing holder) before the throw out bearing engages with the pressure plate.

The "travel" is the movement in the pedal from when throw out bearing contacts pressure plate to when clutch friction plate has disengaged from flywheel.

The manual suggests 2-4 mm play and 8mm travel.

I was a little surprised that I still had to adjust the clutch pedal adjustment rod to not a whole lot shorter than where I had it with the old clutch : i.e. now probably about another 5mm adjustment thread available.

Finally after running the new clutch in for a while I had to adjust the rod length a little. Is this normal with a new clutch ?

Dennis

Jul 28, 2010
Queensland Australia
Thanks for the advice

It's been a bit of a fiddle to set it up right and there seems to be a different sound to the new clutch.

Still can't figure out why I'm using so much of the adjustment out on the adjusting rod.
I had presumed that with new (and unworn) pressure plate levers I would be shortening the rod adjustment by about 6mm (1/4 inch)

My old pressure plate levers were worn down and uneven by about that much.

The forks didn't look that worn and surely the thrust bearing holder doesn't wear that much ?