B2400 won't start

renright

Equipment
Kubota B2400
Mar 25, 2011
Florida
B2400 bought used. Previous owner had routine maintenance done. 754 hours.

Was running, but hard to start. Starter clicked a few times before catching.

Had starter rebuilt and replaced battery. Sat a few weeks until repairs were made. Now starter sounds like it's working fine, but engine won't crank. All levers in correct position. Fuel cock open.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
B2400 bought used. Previous owner had routine maintenance done. 754 hours.

Was running, but hard to start. Starter clicked a few times before catching.

Had starter rebuilt and replaced battery. Sat a few weeks until repairs were made. Now starter sounds like it's working fine, but engine won't crank. All levers in correct position. Fuel cock open.
Do you hear a clunk as the solenoid engages the Bendix with the flywheel and the engine does not start or does the motor just whirr without turning engine over?
dave

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
sylenoid sounds like it's not kicking starter gear out to turn flywheel....reminds me of old trick with old cars....take hammer and whack metal side of starter to free up stuck sylenoid contact....but, I'm just sayin that's what I used to do (I've used a rock before too).....if'n you wanna give it a try, might be 'diagnostic" :)

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
the "click" of the solenoid is a common problem, it's a wiring /resistance issue in the key switch and wiring harness, largely due to age and dirt.

There is a fix for this issue, but it sounds like the starter itself is now having issues.

The starter does not have a helix to toss the drive gear into the flywheel, it relies on the solenoid to do this. while doing this, it also energizes the drive motor.

if the motor is spinning it sounds as if maybe the drive gear "bendix" ( one way clutch) is slipping. similar to a sprag clutch in a transmission

How much was the rebuild on the starter ?

6c140-59210 is the part number for starter, look on Messicks.com for a price.

there are part numbers for individual parts, but they are priced so you're more apt to buy a starter ( $400 for the drive assy for the starter )

as for the clicking, a quality 4 pin 20A relay and some minor wiring will fix it easily. you can buy kit's to do the same thing for $18 - $150

I have a B2400, and experienced the same issues, and almost replaced the starter until I did some web searching and found the relay fix. starts first time every time now.

Last edited:

renright

Equipment
Kubota B2400
Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Bench tested the starter. The drive gear is being kicked forward.

Reinstalled the starter. Same problem.

Sometimes I think I hear the clunk of the drive gear engaging; sometimes just the whir of the starter, but my ears aren't as good as the used to be.

Bigdave

Equipment
B2400HSD w/loader bucket and 60" belly mower
Feb 27, 2012
Nacogdoches, Tx
Dave[/QUOTE]

This sounds a lot like the issue I'm having. After having the dealer replace the motor 2 years a go it ran fine for about a month. Then it started acting up. Click, click, click, start they told me it was the ignition switch so I changed it no difference. So now I have to turn the key or pump the clutch with the key held in many times before it catches and starts. Again click, click,..........start(random number of times sometimes first time sometimes 50 times). Does anyone have a link to the fix for this or is there a kit I can buy. My dealer service mgr sux so I won’t take it back to them. Help would be appreciated.
Bigdave

Bigdave

Equipment
B2400HSD w/loader bucket and 60" belly mower
Feb 27, 2012
Nacogdoches, Tx
This sounds a lot like the issue I'm having. After having the dealer replace the motor 2 years a go it ran fine for about a month. Then it started acting up. Click, click, click, start they told me it was the ignition switch so I changed it no difference. So now I have to turn the key or pump the clutch with the key held in many times before it catches and starts. Again click, click,..........start(random number of times sometimes first time sometimes 50 times). Does anyone have a link to the fix for this or is there a kit I can buy. My dealer service mgr sux so I won’t take it back to them. Help would be appreciated.
Bigdave[/QUOTE]

Ok so I found the post with the JD part # and installed the relay. It took about 10 min and it now starts first time every time. I'm so stoked now.