draining fuel tank of my L 3901

lucky pierre

Equipment
kubota 3901
Mar 29, 2024
Texas
yes, I screwed up - put 5 gallons of premium gasoline into a half full tank on my L 3901. realized it immediately and have been able to extract an amount but fuel level gauge says there's still 1/4 of a tank's capacity left - my "extraction" probe can't find it when I go thru the fill port - so "how" do I remove that last 1/4 tank of fuel ?

I've thought that I might try removing the water separator and then turning the fuel cock back "on" to see if it would gravity drain out - would this work to get the remaining fuel "out" ?

any suggestions will be appreciated - thank you, Bill

Reactions: 1 user

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Try to syphon with a clear hose so you can see where the fuel is at. Syphoning allows you to get to the bottom of the tank. I have a long enough clear hose so I can dip the tank at the bottom and have a loop on the outside to let the fuel come to. That way, you don't get a mouth full of diesel and gasoline.
Taking the strainer bowl off and draining the tank through the strainer makes sense too. There will be a small amount of gasoline/diesel mixture left. Fill the tank FULL. A small amount of gasoline won't hurt.

Reactions: 1 users

lucky pierre

Equipment
kubota 3901
Mar 29, 2024
Texas
thanks for the quick reply Motorhead - mucho appreciated. I've been using a battery operated syphon device/probe that is made of a solid plastic and then has a clear tubing of about 1 1/2' in length - have that attached to a 5' section of garden hose which, in turn, allows for draining into large bucket(s)

experiencing t-storms and rain now so have to wait until it clears before I can try draining thru the water separator

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
take the fuel line off of the outlet of the electric lift pump, then attach a small hose to it. Other end of the hose in a container to catch it. Turn the key on and let it pump it out for you.

then flush the entire system. If you get ANY gasoline in the system it can (and usually does) hurt the supply pump, fuel rail pressure sensor, and injectors. Those are not inexpensive items to have to replace.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea fill and flush the tank several times if you want to avoid a real pricey repairs!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I would yank the tank to empty it.

But if not, maybe one of those El Cheapo boro-scopes would help you locate/make sure you got it all.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I would yank the tank to empty it.

But if not, maybe one of those El Cheapo boro-scopes would help you locate/make sure you got it all.
Would draining all possible gas, then adding a quart of 30W motor oil, agitating that, then draining it, and then filling the tank with fresh diesel, be an option?
I don't really know...
Just thinking out loud.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Would draining all possible gas, then adding a quart of 30W motor oil, agitating that, then draining it, and then filling the tank with fresh diesel, be an option?
I don't really know...
Just thinking out loud.
I am not sure of the "tanks profile" so I suppose that if you can 'agitate it', it is already out, so tipping it over would probably be the best /safest option.

However, if a person could verify that the tank is "flat", jacking up the front axle, thus allowing the fuel mixture to go to the back of the tanks and "sucking it all out, then refilling with fresh diesel would probably be sufficient.

I doubt that 2 tablespoons of contaminated fuel in 5-8 gallons of good diesel would cause any harm.

My OCD would probably force me to remove the tank and dump it though. (y)

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I am not sure of the "tanks profile" so I suppose that if you can 'agitate it', it is already out, so tipping it over would probably be the best /safest option.

However, if a person could verify that the tank is "flat", jacking up the front axle, thus allowing the fuel mixture to go to the back of the tanks and "sucking it all out, then refilling with fresh diesel would probably be sufficient.

I doubt that 2 tablespoons of contaminated fuel in 5-8 gallons of good diesel would cause any harm.

Maybe agitate it with a long compressed air nozzle.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't really know...
Just thinking out loud.
NO, not on an emissions controlled tractor!
That would be another great way to rack up a huge repair bill.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Any gasoline cause massive and instantaneous damage to the high pressure fuel pump.

lucky pierre

Equipment
kubota 3901
Mar 29, 2024
Texas
thanks to all who've offered suggestions - I've got "my regular" mobile Diesel Tractor Mechanic" coming by late this afternoon (after his other calls) - I've complete trust in this fellow so I'll be interested to hear what he has to say - and I'll post here his prognosis......