Question - L5030 FEL 'float'

46Willys

Equipment
L5030 with loader
Dec 31, 2023
Northeast Ohio
L5030 HST with LA853 FEL. When I back drag dirt in reverse with the FEL in float, it seems to work as expected. When I attempt to float going forward, the FEL pushes down into the dirt and lifts the front wheels off the ground.

Now, I don't normally try to flatten dirt using the float function going forward, but I am wondering if this is normal or if it indicates something wrong with my hydraulics. I appreciate insight.

Thanks,
Will

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
L5030 HST with LA853 FEL. When I back drag dirt in reverse with the FEL in float, it seems to work as expected. When I attempt to float going forward, the FEL pushes down into the dirt and lifts the front wheels off the ground.

Now, I don't normally try to flatten dirt using the float function going forward, but I am wondering if this is normal or if it indicates something wrong with my hydraulics. I appreciate insight.

Thanks,
Will
Same thing happens on my L35. It took me a while to figure out what was happening. On firm ground you can try rolling the bucket back, but on soft ground it just does it.

Reactions: 1 user

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
Same thing happens on my L35. It took me a while to figure out what was happening. On firm ground you can try rolling the bucket back, but on soft ground it just does it.
I think that on push mode you will only get away with the bucket flat to the ground and edge a little raised to smooth things out

Reactions: 1 users

46Willys

Equipment
L5030 with loader
Dec 31, 2023
Northeast Ohio
Thanks. This is what I was hoping. With the way the HST and loader hydraulics are interconnected, I didn't know if something in the system was malfunctioning. But if it is the normal, I've just learned something.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Thanks,
Will
100% normal, It's all a matter of geometrics.

Reactions: 1 users