L3901 Red flags or not?

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Pass. No way. Somebody treated that tractor like a gift from his ex-wife.

I wouldn't expect the internals will be any better. The JD dealer probably gave someone 4 grand for it on a trade in. Or bought it at an auction for 3.

It's a Fat chance... but...

Unless... it's like this..

The FARM TRUCK! The ultimate sleeper truck (youtube.com)

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Lots of good advice above so I will just ask,

Overall, how is the "used market" now a days?

I have actually never paid much attention to it, but I know there are guys here that do.

Personally, I would. have a tough time handing over $17,000 for a machine that has had that many "incidents"

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
If a tractor is that beat up that tells me they don't take care of it. There's other tractors out there.
Keep looking

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Fetz, go on to Tractorhouse.com and search for Kubota L3901, there are several on there in Illinois that are right around the $20k range.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Lots of good advice above so not much to add.

If it was a rental or in a fleet doing commercial work (landscaping, snow removal, etc.) such that the incompetent/abusive operator wasn’t the one also doing the maintenance, I’d consider it if they’d negotiate off the $16,900. You don’t have to replace or repair the hood but you’ll have to replace the side panels if you mow with it (which you said you plan to do) and you’ll have to replace the tail lights if there’s any chance you’ll ever road it. I don’t have a clue on side panel cost but am pretty sure the tail lights are $$$. I would check part prices on at least those items and use that in negotiations with the dealer.

If it was owned by an individual or farm (same incompetent/abuser operator was also in charge of maintenance) it would be a hard pass for me. If ownership history is unknown it would be a hard pass for me. Hours aren’t bad at all if serviced properly, but 50 hour service on these things is very important to long term life, and I’m pretty sure there’s another major service before 681 hours. If those weren’t done and done right, I wouldn’t want it.

Bought a truck in similar shape when I was a teenager because it was all I could afford. Prior owner had been trying to “restore” it for a couple years. It was running, but automatic transmission wouldn’t shift past second gear. I knew enough to know the bands were misadjusted and could see the vacuum advance wasn’t hooked up so I bought it. Took me near 2 years to get the gremlins to stop popping up where the prior owner had been “restoring”. Like when I cranked it one morning almost a year later and no oil pressure. Shut it down and pulled the oil pan after school to access the pump only to find a couple pounds of oily pine needles in the pan blocking the pump pickup.

Maybe that experience is still effecting my opinions. I still think it’s rare for an ignorant, incompetent, or abusive operator to not also be ignorant, incompetent, and abusive in regard to maintenance.

Edit: And IMO that damage doesn’t look like it’s from a one time incident such as a rollover or falling off a trailer. It looks like multiple minor incidents from an abusive or incompetent operator.

Reactions: 1 users

Fetz

Jan 22, 2024
Central IL
Update:
Went to look at it this morning. I will admit the damage doesn't look as bad as the pictures make you think.

The sales guy insisted "everything runs fine" and he "wasn't aware of any problems". It was individually owned and they took it on a trade in because the owner was upgrading to a 50hp JD tractor. He did not have any maintenance records, but there was a sticker from where it was originally purchased so I called them. They said the only thing they had on record was warranty work for a battery cable bulletin, and that was in 2021.

It looks like the filters were replaced at some point, so it's possible they just did all the work themselves or took it somewhere closer for service (Though I would guess not because why would they bring it all the way back to the original shop for one service they did on it).

I didn't do any inspection beyond that today. I'm definitely leaning towards passing on it as there are some lower hour options nearby that are only a few thousand more and I don't have to feel like I'm rolling the dice so much.

Thanks everyone for some solid advice all the way around!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I didn't do any inspection beyond that today. I'm definitely leaning towards passing on it as there are some lower hour options nearby that are only a few thousand more and I don't have to feel like I'm rolling the dice so much.
I wouldn't be totally against buying it, but agree, if you have similar options without the risks, and not much more money, that's a lot safer.

Reactions: 1 user

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Ah, Don't Cha know... Wisconsin inflection added for effect and laughs...

Someone treated this unit, Uh, or tractor, like a bad thing.

The only tractors or equipment that I've seen in my life that were cosmetically abused like that: Were Rentals.

Unless it was government owned. And I have too much historical info about that. But basically, Gov owned, means Abused.

It could have spent it's life at a college farm. Poly tech. New students every semester and thru summer classes with the facility maintenance guy just trying to keep it running!

Do yourself a favor, and don't rest your case on this post... But offer 30 % of asking price. 5 grand. If you have repair skills. If they will call you in a few months... maybe take it! They might!

As I, and many others have said... Hard Pass.

Last edited:

Fetz

Jan 22, 2024
Central IL
If anyone is curious for an update, I ended up passing on this specific tractor. I was able to find a 2017 L3901 with 160 hours on it and paid $20,900 after taxes. I've put less than an hour on it so far but I think its going to be a perfect fit. Thanks for the help everyone!

Reactions: 4 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
If anyone is curious for an update, I ended up passing on this specific tractor. I was able to find a 2017 L3901 with 160 hours on it and paid $20,900 after taxes. I've put less than an hour on it so far but I think its going to be a perfect fit. Thanks for the help everyone!
So an L3901 with 160 hours and presumably in good condition for a few thousand more than a beaten up and abused "L3901 with 681 hrs for $16,900." ..... the student has become the master! (y) Congratulations and don't keep us waiting for photos.

Oh, and I have more hours on my '21 MX6000 that showed up on December 23rd with 1.5 hours on the hour meter, so that's very low hours for being six or more years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users