What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
Nothing today, but looks like my Saturday will be busy.:p

Our Boxer dog Oliver will be helping as well.:cool:

20 ton. Figure a good morning.

Put the scarifiers on the box blade down, and lengthened the top link. Should groove the driveway, then smooth it out in the first pass. Then cover with stone, and smooth out again with scarifiers up.

Reason to lengthen link is so it doesn't want to dig when going forward.

In the pic, you can see the box is tipped away from the tractor some. The front blade of the box is up, back is down. Will hopefully do the trick, with some adjustment as needed.

Will post pics as the tractor and I progress, unless it's ugly!!:eek:

I went the other way with the center link made it short hoping the scarifiers would dig in more and with the rear of the cutting edge rolled back would keep it from digging in and let the dirt go under the cutting edge. I pulled it around the MX track last night and I thought it was working but it still dug in a few times and wow when it starts digging it digs. I will try your way tomorrow night.

Did my first wheelie tonight. Had the slip scoop on the rear for a counter weight and had it heaping full of wet dirt. Was going up one of the jumps on the track and sure enough the front wheels were in the air. I about shit. The angle made it real hard to get my foot moved to the reverse pedal. Unloaded about half the dirt out of the slip scoop after that.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
As said above ammonium nitrate is fertilizer, 34-0-0 basically straight nitrogen, will make your grass and corn really green and grow fast. In my area all the old timers refer to it as "ammonia" sorry for the confusion. Side dressing is simply a method to place the fertilizer alongside existing plants rather than broadcasting over large areas. My 48 John Deere has a very elaborate flat ag chain driven multi-geared device driven by the rear axle to precisely place the fertilizer in the drill area.
I also have a gravity fed distributor With a sliding gate to adjust the opening that sets the rate of flow that I use with the Kubota,monted to a cultivator, both use a rubber radiator type hose to direct the fertilizer down to the ground.
Something I copied off the web:
Ammonium nitrate can be used directly or as an important component of many fertilizer mixtures. It provides a source of nitrogen to plants to increase growth and crop yields. Ammonium nitrate is a popular fertilizer since it provides half of the N in nitrate form and half in ammonium form. The nitrate form moves readily with soil water to the roots where it is immediately available for plant uptake. Ammonium nitrate is more popular than other nitrogen fertilizers for pasture and hay fertilization since it is less susceptible to volatilization or air losses when left on the soil. It is also valued by vegetable growers for its ability to provide an immediately available nitrate source of plant food.
Thanks, great explanation! It's a good day, I learned something new!

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
As said above ammonium nitrate is fertilizer, 34-0-0 basically straight nitrogen, will make your grass and corn really green and grow fast. In my area all the old timers refer to it as "ammonia" sorry for the confusion. Side dressing is simply a method to place the fertilizer alongside existing plants rather than broadcasting over large areas. My 48 John Deere has a very elaborate flat ag chain driven multi-geared device driven by the rear axle to precisely place the fertilizer in the drill area.

I also have a gravity fed distributor With a sliding gate to adjust the opening that sets the rate of flow that I use with the Kubota,monted to a cultivator, both use a rubber radiator type hose to direct the fertilizer down to the ground.

Something I copied off the web:

Ammonium nitrate can be used directly or as an important component of many fertilizer mixtures. It provides a source of nitrogen to plants to increase growth and crop yields. Ammonium nitrate is a popular fertilizer since it provides half of the N in nitrate form and half in ammonium form. The nitrate form moves readily with soil water to the roots where it is immediately available for plant uptake. Ammonium nitrate is more popular than other nitrogen fertilizers for pasture and hay fertilization since it is less susceptible to volatilization or air losses when left on the soil. It is also valued by vegetable growers for its ability to provide an immediately available nitrate source of plant food.
Somehow it can be used to manufacture explosives as well, it's what Timothy McVeigh used to blow up the building in Oklahoma City.

zload

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2400HSD/47 John Deere Model M
Apr 14, 2015
FL
Thanks, great explanation! It's a good day, I learned something new!

The very "mechanical" way things were done back in the day is really cool in a crazy Rube Goldberg sort of way. This is a photo of a late 40s - early 50s JD side dresser which is very similar to mine, it mounts up on the right side of the tractor between the operator and the front axle, these single row and double row tractors had an offset configurations that allowed the operator to see all of the cultivation gear from the seat position so they didn't damage the young plants while plowing. You can just barely see a small gear towards the lower back of the unit which is on the same shaft as the lower gear with the chain. There would be another chain coming from the axle gear to that small gear which powered the whole thing. Underneath the fertilizer hopper is a gear box which changes the shaft rotation movement 90 degrees two times ending up with a rotating plate underneath the hopper to move the granular fertilizer to the adjustable gate and down the tube. The long rod with the "basket" on top would connect to the lower cultivator gear and when the hydraulics were raised, the basket would disengage the moving gear set and stop the fertilizer flow so it was not wasted while turning around for the next row or traveling. No covers, safety blocks, shields nothing but common sense and caution between you and all kinds of moving chain, gears etc.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yes, " No covers, safety blocks, shields nothing but common sense and caution between you and all kinds of moving chain, gears etc." this was before our government stepped in to make sure we couldn't get hurt.

I think it was good to make people think for themselves, and be responsible for themselves. They often times made better decisions based on what they had seen or heard happened to a neighbor or family member.

In a sad way, it keep the genetic pool of simpletons smaller then it is today.

And people were creative with their ideas, then improved on them. Determining the features to make it safer by themselves.

It reminds me of the quote: "Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself!"

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I pulled it around the MX track last night and I thought it was working but it still dug in a few times and wow when it starts digging it digs. I will try your way tomorrow night.
alansz - try turning the top link out some.

Made a few test passes tonight on the driveway.

It was hard, took a little to break it up, but so far getting the effect I'm looking for. After fluffing it up, will pull scarifiers up, leave box tilted back, and smooth things out (I hope). Then the top coat of stone will go down.

Attachments

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
Dug a hole yesterday to bury my old fiberglass boat. The boat is 14ft long 5ft wide and 3ft deep. Took about 3 hours to dig the hole. Just about got the box blade wedged in the hole a few times. Way more work then it was worth but the boats gone and I ended up with a real big pile of nice dirt.

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
Dug out row of cement blocks with pallet forks.
blocks 1.jpg

Previous owner laid first row below grade to make step up in yard. Started leveling off step and filling in ditch.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Did the driveway - thought the stone would be larger, but we'll make it work.
Driveway is done; now need to think about mowing!!:)

Unfortunately, everything I touch today goes wrong. So maybe we'll get the deck on, and think about mowing TOMORROW after work!!:eek:

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Driveway is done; now need to think about mowing!!:)

Unfortunately, everything I touch today goes wrong. So maybe we'll get the deck on, and think about mowing TOMORROW after work!!:eek:
That sounds just like my last weekend :p:p blower took a dump. Had to drop $100 on a new blower. Got the push mower going by adding some sea foam to the gas. Then found that piece of metal in the yard and tore up the finish mower :rolleyes:

New blades showed up friday. Almost done getting where the finish mower can't. So once I'm done with the push mower. I'll put the new blades on the finish mower, give it a good greasing. And hopefully get the jungle tamed outside :rolleyes::D:D

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
Mowed a week or so ago, started and ran just fine.

Went out yesterday, did preflight fluid checks, taught my 12yo daughter how to run the weed trimmer ( hands numb from the death grip of operating a running machine ;) )
IMG_4578.jpg

When to start up the tractor, cycled the glow plugs, turned to start CLICK all lights go out.... turn again, nothing.
Battery dead shorted internally, damn, I REALLY don't want to go into town for a battery today...
IMG_4579.jpg
Oh, look, I've got a deep cycle from the camper, still good, but replaced last year out of paranoia... which also lead to remaking battery cables and then finally relenting a redoing the start solenoid relay bypass since the last one croaked last year and i just put it back to stock to get things going.

I'll get a proper battery later this week while I'm working, use company discount to get it. I'll probably be at parts store anyway for something.

Yes, its always something !

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Took eight (yes, 8) bucket loads of sand out of my front yard where the town was kind enough to plow it all winter.

Motrin for supper...

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
Was making process in yard dirt to level out around some big rocks sticking up. Then had a Oh F**k moment.
rolled 1.jpg

Seat belt is harder to unbuckle when latch is on downhill side.

Come-a-long attached to truck and engine lift on FEL frame got it back on wheels. Fluid are ok. Puff of white smoke when it started. Lens popped back on rear light.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Got the blades on the finish mower and the yard mowed. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aluthin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6000
Aug 7, 2015
United Kingdom
Was making process in yard dirt to level out around some big rocks sticking up. Then had a Oh F**k moment.
View attachment 21818

Come-a-long attached to truck and engine lift on FEL frame got it back on wheels. Fluid are ok. Puff of white smoke when it started. Lens popped back on rear light.
Shows the importance of a rops and wearing your seatbelt glad your OK, and so's your Kubota.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
View attachment 21818

Shows the importance of a rops and wearing your seatbelt glad your OK, and so's your Kubota.
I only have 11 hours on tractor so far. So this part of the break in process.

Took the ballast box off yesterday to move the trailer around. Not sure if that extra weight would have helped.

kckndrgn

Equipment
BX2370 w/ 60" MMM and FEL, Box Blade, Bush Hog, Carry All & Tiller
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
View attachment 21818

Glad you are safe and unharmed.

I used the box blade (1st time) yesterday to smooth out and "level" my driveway at my hunting place. The driveway needed to be BB'd/leveled out when we bought the place 4 years ago, just now getting around to it. The ruts were so bad my wife's car would bottom out if we didn't go up the drive just right.

I didn't get it all sloped/angled exactly the way I wanted to but, it's so much better, now to get a load of gravel in and cover up this TN clay that I have for a driveway.