Bent Quick Attach on Loader

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Just a bad day, worked in rain most of morning then this......

Rain let off early morning so I started brush hogging paths, food plots, trails, and removing some trees that had fallen. Getting ready for the up coming deer season on our lease.

Cut up and pushed a tree back in woods that had fallen near one of our stands.

Left there to move an oak that had fallen in one of our food plots. Bucked the tree which was not large in diameter into about 8' sections so I could push it out of plot.

Pushed on one part and then on the second when I noticed the bucket was not level. Apparently when I pushed the first tree near our box stand into the woods one of the locking handles released and then when I pushed on the smaller tree that was in the plot it tweaked the quick attach,

See pics attached, one is of the big tree that we cut and pushed into the woods no problem and the other of my bent quick attach for the bucket.

Thoughts on what to do, try and repair or replace? I don't have the means to try and bend back in place but plenty of welding shops around I could carry it to.

So, buy new one which seems to be as simple as removing 4 pins and plenty of cash or carry to welding shop and have them remove round cross bar and weld new one in place.

You guys and gals here always have great ideas and insight so let the suggestions, thoughts and advice begin.

I want it to be right! My 2 year old daughter loves her Katie Kubota and is sad she is broken down and has to go see a doctor! Anything that is broken from a limb to well any thing she says it is "broken down dada fix it".

Attachments

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Unfortunately a lot of Kubota's suffer this fate, but yours is the worst I've seen posted here or on TBN.

I would get an estimate at a welding shop, and compare that to the new price before making any decisions.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Unfortunately a lot of Kubota's suffer this fate, but yours is the worst I've seen posted here or on TBN.

I would get an estimate at a welding shop, and compare that to the new price before making any decisions.
That is my plan to remove it and carry to a friend that works with me who is an amazing tool maker and welder. A case of SUDS and some fresh veggies from the garden covers any labor so my cost is usually materials plus the before mentioned.

Thanks for the reply.

Jay

Reactions: 1 user

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
Wow!! Now that I see it... I can tell it needs to be beefed up.

If that was me... I would simply cut that tube in the middle... lay the 2 brackets flat... and weld it back together. (looks like it twisted) If possible, I would also find a tube that could be slid over it, and weld it on for some extra strength. AND.............. I would add an extra tube (top or bottom... side to side) to keep that from happening again. That single center tube just isn't enough.

highcountrybarry

Mar 20, 2016
Fleetwood, NC
If it was me, I would try putting a two by four in that shortest ram to stop it from returning and see if the hydraulics can pull the other back in line. If it does then you can reassess whatever welding or gussets etc you may add to strengthen it. You are correct in assuming the latch released I believe. It is designed to work as a unit with the bucket in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
It might be redneckish.

A guy down the road in the sawmill and firewood business did the same to his (red tractor) ssqa. As cheap and crude as he is, he was ok with the BFFI method. The side of the ssqa that was twisted forward, we drove it in to a solid stationary object. The tractor was strong enough to bend it, it's strong enough to fix it! Around there it was big piles of oak logs. 3 or 4 times got it damn close.

His was only out about half the amount yours is. By the time yours is twisted back, the welds my let go or weaken the tube a lot.

Similar to Dr Honda's suggestion. If that was mine, I'd cut out the cross tube and replace it with 2 pieces of square tubing, spaced apart some. A good welding shop should be able to fix it up in an hour or so.

In theory the qa isn't supposed to take any twisting strain when it's locked in, but we all know how good theory is!

Reactions: 1 user

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Wow!! Now that I see it... I can tell it needs to be beefed up.

If that was me... I would simply cut that tube in the middle... lay the 2 brackets flat... and weld it back together. (looks like it twisted) If possible, I would also find a tube that could be slid over it, and weld it on for some extra strength. AND.............. I would add an extra tube (top or bottom... side to side) to keep that from happening again. That single center tube just isn't enough.
My friend Wesley the welder/tool maker can fix it if anyone can. Was thinking I may cut out twisted tube it is bad and go back with square tube largest that will weld up. Then to prevent this in the future lock the handles in place as I never take off just the bucket.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
If it was me, I would try putting a two by four in that shortest ram to stop it from returning and see if the hydraulics can pull the other back in line. If it does then you can reassess whatever welding or gussets etc you may add to strengthen it. You are correct in assuming the latch released I believe. It is designed to work as a unit with the bucket in place.

I was scared to try that as my uncle and I were looking at it last night for fear of bending or breaking something else. I guess a little at the time slowwwwwww would be worth a try.

Thanks for the response and idea.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
It might be redneckish.

A guy down the road in the sawmill and firewood business did the same to his (red tractor) ssqa. As cheap and crude as he is, he was ok with the BFFI method. The side of the ssqa that was twisted forward, we drove it in to a solid stationary object. The tractor was strong enough to bend it, it's strong enough to fix it! Around there it was big piles of oak logs. 3 or 4 times got it damn close.

His was only out about half the amount yours is. By the time yours is twisted back, the welds my let go or weaken the tube a lot.

Similar to Dr Honda's suggestion. If that was mine, I'd cut out the cross tube and replace it with 2 pieces of square tubing, spaced apart some. A good welding shop should be able to fix it up in an hour or so.

In theory the qa isn't supposed to take any twisting strain when it's locked in, but we all know how good theory is!
the welds are solid my uncle and I were discussing that last night hard to believe a person could weld it like it is. I believe they will hold but the tube would be weak where it is twisted so leaning toward cutting it out and replacing with square tube like you suggest.

The right side locking lever must have been released when I was pulling down some vines or pushing some trees into the woods. So when locking levers are in place she is solid. Plan to "lock" them in place as I never take off the bucket, when needed remove the entire FEL it is so easy 10 minutes and it is on the cement pad.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There really is no need to make the tube heavier or stronger, it failed because it's not supposed to take that stress, the bucket, or better stated the mounting plate is.
Increasing the weight will only reduce it's lift capacity and if you have the same issue again it will damage other parts that are far more expensive to replace. ;)

Reactions: 2 users

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
There really is no need to make the tube heavier or stronger, it failed because it's not supposed to take that stress, the bucket, or better stated the mounting plate is.
Increasing the weight will only reduce it's lift capacity and if you have the same issue again it will damage other parts that are far more expensive to replace. ;)

NIW thanks for the weigh in what you say I agree with. Hope I can put her back the way she was no problems until the lever disengaged without me knowing. I'll stop that from recurring and all will be right again once she is fixed.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS

I have straightened at least 6 of these, a couple were even this twisted. Just block the right side and roll quick attach back. Bring it back slow, let the pressure off and measure the distance on each side. If you do go too far on the left, move the block from the right side to the left side and try again.

Reactions: 4 users

ThisIsNotaStep

Equipment
2005 bx23 tlb
Nov 26, 2010
Ontario, Canada
The focus seems to have shifted to repairing the damage .. soooo .. don't forget to drill some holes and insert some pins or something to keep the quick attach from opening accidentally again ..

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
I fully agree with NIW. If this ever happens to me to the extent that it comes to having to cut that tube, I plan to use some smaller tube and using some sort of bolt or pin that would hopefully act like a shear pin. That way when it breaks, just go all the way to dump or curl and install a new one.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Thanks to everyone for the weigh in on how to resolve my problem.

Plan is to try and use 2x4 and bend it back, see how close I can get it.

If unsuccessful then cut out twisted tube and have new one welded in place and paint.

once repaired then I will lock the handles in place by some means to prevent premature unlocking from occurring in the future.

Sad to see Katie Kubota all broken down, Ella my 2 year old is concerned about her tractor being all bent up! She had to see her this morning before going to daycare to see if the "doctor" had fixed her yet. The minds of children are amazing and pure, it is only as we grow up they become cluttered!

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8
I had the same problem on my LA525. Went to a tree with the bucket off, and rolled the QA plate on the side bent down against the tree- fixed in minutes without leaving the seat. It was not quite as bent as yours, but close. I would give that a try first before you take any tools to your nice tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
My brother is out bush hogging with my (much smaller) B2301 right now otherwise I'd go look, but I'm almost positive my quick attach has that large center tube in the middle then a smaller solid bar welded between the two plates above it. Odd that mine would have a beefier build than the QA for your larger tractor. Unless they've updated the design and I just got lucky.

*Never mind, I just got a chance to look at it. My SSQA has a rather small bar in between the plates. The large tube is in between the loader arms.

Last edited:

highcountrybarry

Mar 20, 2016
Fleetwood, NC
Thanks to everyone for the weigh in on how to resolve my problem.

Plan is to try and use 2x4 and bend it back, see how close I can get it.

If unsuccessful then cut out twisted tube and have new one welded in place and paint.

once repaired then I will lock the handles in place by some means to prevent premature unlocking from occurring in the future.

Sad to see Katie Kubota all broken down, Ella my 2 year old is concerned about her tractor being all bent up! She had to see her this morning before going to daycare to see if the "doctor" had fixed her yet. The minds of children are amazing and pure, it is only as we grow up they become cluttered!

Pics would be welcome, good luck, I think it will go fine.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I would cut the tube off flush with the mounting plates on each end. Then attach the bucket to get the plates lined up properly and then weld a new piece of tube in place.