Slumbering BX23 Now Has Low RPMs

Happytule

Equipment
BX23
Mar 2, 2013
inSane Diego
Hi, all-

I have a BX23 with loader and backhoe that I'm ashamed to say sat for two or three years without being used.

I'm working out the kinks, new battery, two new front tires, and everything is going pretty good except the RPMs have dropped off as I've gone through the two gallons of diesel that I put in the tank before firing her up.

I siphoned the old fuel out, poured in two gallons of fresh diesel, and the tractor started right up on the first crank, with lots of smoke and after idling for about 10 minutes, I hopped on and played around for about an hour.

Performance was OK, although the motor didn't run as fast as I remembered. That was last weekend.

Today I hopped on, started working, and noticed almost immediately that the RPMs are really low. I had trouble getting up the driveway, which is steep.

I'm thinking the fuel filter needs to be replaced, or could I take it out and clean it? Is most likely coated with lacquer? (Not sure if diesel does that).

Is there anything else I need to look at?

Would some Lucas in the next batch of fuel help?

I gave the air cleaner a good blowout (and it was filthy). Removing the air filter doesn't seem to have an effect on the RPMs.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Best,

Chris

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Start simple and replace the fuel filter and put a brand new one on there. See what that does.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Is the fuel flow from the fuel tank good? I would use some fuel additive such as Stanadyne or SeaFoam and work the tractor good under load.

Iowan

Equipment
Kubota's
Apr 29, 2012
North central Iowa
There are two (2) fuel filters on the BX get them from Kubota, when you have them off blow air up the fuel line to the tank after draining the tank, install bleed the fuel system and you should good to go. The first fuel filter you can can get from Napa or Wix's but the the second one you must get from Kubota.
Hope this helps, Iowan

Happytule

Equipment
BX23
Mar 2, 2013
inSane Diego
OK, two fuel filters on the way from Messicks. That will be next weekend's first project.

I found a parts diagram at Messick's and it indicates both fuel filters are the same. Can anyone confirm this?

Happytule

Equipment
BX23
Mar 2, 2013
inSane Diego
Wow, I assume the Seafoam made this happen: I put 10 ounces of Seafoam in an almost empty tank, then topped it off with some nice clean fuel from Shell.

Tractor started up with nice, normal sounding RPMs and ran like a champ all day.

Coming up the hill, still bogged down a little twice, but the RPMs picked up again. I remember always slowing down a little on the steepest part of the driveway, but not this much.

Still, I think I'm close to being back to normal. I'm also thinking it could be the fuel. The first two gallons of fuel might have been past its prime, we got it at a small country store/gas station near our house.

The second batch of diesel was from a busy Shell station and the fuel had a nice blue color to it, just looked good.

Anyway, the fuel filters are on the way, so I think I'll go ahead and replace them. I'm at 300 hours and I think the normal replacement is 500 hours, but if I wait, I'll probably lose the filters, so....may as well use them now....it might get me back to 100%!

uglyboy

Equipment
TG1860G
Mar 8, 2013
St. George, Ontario
Happy... you have mentioned low RPMs... are you saying that when you pull down the throttle lever, your RPM doesn't go up ??? My BX24 idles at about 1200, but if I pull the throttle all the way, she revs up to over 3200 RPM.
Maybe I'm just not reading between the lines...

Pete